

Kenneth E. Victor
Augmentation Research Center
Stanford Research Institute
Menlo Park, California 94025

To:
Access Copy

9504

reclaiming resident ddt

Here is the long promised code to reclaim resident DDT after it has been flushed.

1

Three routines are provided:

1a

DDTRCL

1a1

This is the driving routine.

1a1a

When you wish to reclaim ddt, you go into MDDT and execute:

1a1b

CALL DDTRCL

1a1b1

MAKPGU

1a2

This is the routine that removes pages from the swappable store.

1a2a

OFFRQ

1a3

This routine is used by code in SWPIN to diddle MAPs and CSTs.

1a3a

In addition some changes to the start-up code in PISRV and to code in PAGEM are provided.

1b

The following should be added to a swappable part of SWPMON:

2

3

;RECLAIM DDT

3a

GS RCADDT,1 ;SAVE ADDRESS OF SWPCOR

3b

3c

EXTERN MAKPGU,DDTX

3d

3d1

DDTRCL: MOVE 2,RCADDT ;GET OLD SWPCOR

3e

3f

CAMN 2,SWPCOR ;GOT DDT ALREADY ?

3f1

JRST DDTRC3 ;YES

3f2

reclaiming resident ddt

MOVE 1,MONCOR	;MAKE SURE WE DONT STOP IN MIDDLE	3f3
SETOM DDTPRS		3f4
SOS 2		3f5
CALL MAKPGU	;GET THE PAGES	3f6
MOVE 2,RCADDT	;STOP GARBAGE COLLECTION	3f7
MOVEM 2,SWPCOR		3f8
HRLZ 2,MMSPTN	;FIXUP THE MAP AND CST'S	3f9
HRR 2,MONCOR		3f10
HRRZ 1,MONCOR		3f11
MOVSI 3,400000		3f12
MOVSI 4,RWXB		3f13
DDTRC1: MOVEM 1,MMAP(2)		3g
HLLM 4,MMAP(2)		3g1
MOVEM 3,CST0(1)		3g2
MOVEM 1,CST1(1)		3g3
MOVEM 2,CST2(1)		3g4
ADDI 1,1		3g5
CAMGE 1,RCADDT	;DONE ALL ?	3g6
AOJA 2,DDTRC1	;NO, CONTINUE	3g7
MOVE 4,MONCOR	;GET DDT BACK FROM DISK	3g8
SUB 4,RCADDT		3g9
HRLZ 4,4		3g10
HRR 4,MONCOR		3g11
DDTRC2: MOVE 1,RLMX0-1(4)	;GET DISK ADDRESS	3h

reclaiming resident ddt

MOVEI 2,1000	;READ 1000 WORDS	3h1
MOVEI 3,0(4)	;GET CORE ADDRESS	3h2
LSH 3,†D9		3h3
DSKOP		3h4
AOBJN 4,DDTRC2	;ALL DONE, NO TO DDTRC2	3h5
DDTRC3: MOVE 1,[JRST DDTX]	;UPDATE 100	3i
MOVEM 1,100		3i1
SETZM DDTPRS	;INDICATE DDT PRESENT	3i2
RET		3i3

The following two routines should be added to PAGEM (note MAKPGU need not be resident if that is possible on your system):

		4
		5
;REMOVE A SET OF PAGES FROM THE SWAPPABLE STORE		5a
;ACCEPTS IN 1: PAGE NUMBER OF FIRST PAGE TO BE REMOVED		5b
; 2: PAGE NUMBER OF LAST PAGE TO BE REMOVED		5c
		5d
GS RCLPLK,1 ;LOCK TO KEEP MORE THAN 1 USER OUT OF CODE		5e
GS BOTPGE,1 ;BOTTOM PAGE		5f
GS TOPPGE,1 ;TOP PAGE		5g
GS PGEcnt,1 ;NUMBER OF PAGES		5h
		5i
INTERN MAKPGU		5i1
EXTERN DISLE		5i2
		5j
MAKPGU: AOSE RCLPLK ;LOCK OUT THE WORLD		5k

reclaiming resident ddt

JRST [MOVEI 1,RCLPLK	;SOMEONE BEAT US HERE	5k1
	CALL DISL	;WAIT	5k1a
	JRST .-1]	;TRY AGAIN	5k1b
MOVE 3,2		;COMPUTE PAGE COUNT	5k2
SUB 3,1			5k3
AOS 3			5k4
MOVEM 1,BOTPGE		;SETUP BOTPGE	5k5
MOVEM 2,TOPPGE		;SETUP TOPPGE	5k6
MOVEM 3,PGECONT		;SETUP COUNT	5k7
MOVEI 1,PGECONT		;DISMISS UNTIL WE HAVE	5k8
CALL DISLE		; ALL PAGES	5k9
SETOM RCLPLK		;UNLOCK	5k10
RET			5k11
			5l
			5m
			5n
OFFRQ:	SOS 4,TOTRC	;UPDATE TOTRC	5o
	SOS MAXNR	;UPDATE MAXNR	5o1
	ASH 4,-2	;UPDATE MAXLOK	5o2
	CAIGE 4,10		5o3
	MOVEI 4,10		5o4
	MOVEM 4,MAXLOK		5o5
	MOVE 4,TOTRC	;UPDATE MAXBP	5o6
	LSH 4,-3		5o7

reclaiming resident ddt

CAIL 4,NBP		5o8
MOVEI 4,NBP-1		5o9
MOVEM 4,MAXBP		5o10
SETZM CST1(3)	;SET CST1	5o11
SETZM CST2(3)	;SET CST2	5o12
SETZM CST3(3)	;SET CST3	5o13
SETZM MMAP(3)	;SET MMAP	5o14
MOVSI 4,010000	;SET CST0	5o15
MOVEM 4,CST0(3)		5o16
RET		5o17

The code at SWPIL1 (in PAGEM) should now look as follows: 6
7

SWPIL1:	SOS NRPLQ		7a
HRRZ 3,RPLQ		;YES, REMOVE FROM QUEUE	7a1
SUBI 3,CST3			7a2
PIOFF			7a3
MOVE 4,CST3(3)			7a4
HLLM 4,0(4)			7a5
MOVS 4,4			7a6
HLRM 4,0(4)			7a7
PION			7a8
SETZM CST3(3)			7a9
CALL DEPG		;RESET PREVIOUS OWNERSHIP	7a10
SKIPN PGEcnt		;ANY PAGES NOT TO GIVE BACK	7a11

reclaiming resident ddt

JRST SWPILA	;NO	7a12
CAML 3,BOTPGE	;THIS PAGE TO BE REMOVED FROM	7a13
CAMLE 3,TOPPGE	; SWAPPABLE STORE ?	7a14
SKIPA	;NO	7a15
JRST [CALL OFFRQ	;YES, UPDATE ALL NECESSARY SHIT	7a16
SOS PGECNT	;REDUCE # OF PAGES	7a16a
JRST SWPIN]	;GET THE USER A PAGE	7a16b
SWPILA: TLNE 1,-1	;NEW PAGE FROM PT OR SPT?	7b

The code at SYSGO1 (in PISRV) should now look as follows:

SYSGO1: SKIPA 7,DIDSCI		8
		9
SYSGO1: SKIPA 7,DIDSCI		9a
SYSLOD: SETZ 7,	;CLEAR DIDSCA TO RELOAD DISK	9b
MOVE P,PI7P		9b1
CONO APR,200000	;RESET IO DEVICES	9b2
CONO PI,610000	;RESET PI	9b3
CONO 420,1B25+1	;START THE HP CLOCK	9b4
MOVE 1,[XWD 5000,5000+1]		9b5
SETZM -1(1)		9b6
BLT 1,SCDVE		9b7
MOVEM 7,DIDSCA		9b8
AOS INSKED		9b9
MOVE 1,[JRST BUGH9]	;SETUP JSR DISPATCHES	9b10
MOVEM 1,BUGHLT+1		9b11
MOVE 1,[JRST BUGC9]		9b12

reclaiming resident ddt

MOVEM 1,BUGCHK+1		9b13
MOVE 1,SWPCOR	;SAVE VALUE OF SWPCOR	9b14
MOVEM 1,RCADDT		9b15
CALL PGRINI	;INIT DST, CST, ETC.	9b16
IFDEF DRMCHN,<CALL DRMINI>	;DRUM	9b17
IFDEF DSKCHN,<CALL DSKINI>	;DISK	9b18
IFDEF DLSCHN,<CALL TTINIT>	;TELETYPE MODULE	9b19
CALL SCDIN	;SCHEDULER	9b20
CALL PIINIT	;PI MODULE - LAST INIT	9b21
MOVE 1,[XWD CTYLIN,JOBSRT]		9b22
CALL SCDRQ7	;INITIATE FIRST JOB	9b23

KEV 11-MAR-72 18:11 9504

reclaiming resident ddt

(J9504) 11-MAR-72 18:11; Title: Author(s): Kenneth E. Victor/KEV;
Distribution: Charles W. Rose, David W. Shipman, James A. Moorer, Stan
L. Mantiplay, Rainer W. Schulz, Bob Van Tyul, Jeanne B. North, Robert L.
Dendy, John T. Melvin, Kenneth E. Victor, John W. McConnell, Peggy M.
Karp, Dan L. Murphy, Rod M. Fredrickson, Peter H. Lipman, Donald C.
Wallace, Carl M. Ellison, Ted R. Strollo/TUG; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC
TUG; Clerk: KEV;
Origin: <VICTOR>RECALIM-DDT.NLS;1, 11-MAR-72 18:00 KEV ;

Martin E. Hardy
Augmentation Research Center
Stanford Research Institute
Menlo Park, California 94025

To:
Access Copy

9505

Centronics Printer

(J9505) 14-MAR-72 9:53; Title: Author(s): Martin E. Hardy/MEH;
Distribution: Jacques F. Vallee, Diane S. Kaye, Paul Rech, Michael D.
Kudlick, Donald R. Cone, Don Limuti, William R. Ferguson, Priscilla
Lister, Robert L. Dendy, Linda L. Lane, Marilyn F. Auerbach, Walter L.
Bass, Mary S. Church, William S. Duvall, Douglas C. Engelbart,
Beauregard A. Hardeman, Martin E. Hardy, J. D. Hopper, Charles H. Irby,
Mil E. Jernigan, Harvey G. Lehtman, John T. Melvin, Jeanne B. North,
James C. Norton, Cindy Page, Bruce L. Parsley, William H. Paxton,
Jeffrey C. Peters, Jake Ratliff, Barbara E. Row, Ed K. Van De Riet, Dirk
H. van Nouhuys, Kenneth E. Victor, Donald C. Wallace, Richard W. Watson,
Don I. Andrews/SRI-ARC; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: PL;

Centronics Printer

We have catalogued (as 9394) a brochure describing the Centronics Model 101 serial USASCII line printer. Its worst case print rate is approximately one second per line, (132 col) and costs approximately \$3,500.00. A sample printout is attached. The materials are filed in the cave (by number).

1

Harvey G. Lehtman
Augmentation Research Center
Stanford Research Institute
Menlo Park, California 94025

To:
Access Copy

9506

ONWARD AND UPWARD WITH NEW NLS

(J9506) 14-MAR-72 10:30; Title: Author(s): Harvey G. Lehtman/HGL;
Distribution: James G. Mitchell, L. Peter Deutsch, Diane S. Kaye, Don I.
Andrews, Walter L. Bass, William S. Duvall, Mary S. Church, J. D.
Hopper, Charles H. Irby, Harvey G. Lehtman, John T. Melvin, Bruce L.
Parsley, William H. Paxton, Marilyn F. Auerbach/NPG MFA;
Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC NPG; Clerk: HGL;

ONWARD AND UPWARD WITH NEW NLS

Well, it looks like a bust (See (9482,).) Until Mimi and Bruce finish debugging their stuff we cannot move over the REL-NLS system. Hopefully, however, we will be able to do it by Friday. An additional note: Mimi backed up several versions of IOCTL because it went bad. She maintains that little (if anything) was lost in the process. I have been unable to find anyone who had changed IOCTL recently other than Mimi and must thus conclude she is right. If, however, you feel some of your valuable code has mysteriously disappeared from <REL-NLS>IOCTL since 23 February, do something about it.....Peace, Comrade HGL

1

Richard W. Watson
Augmentation Research Center
Stanford Research Institute
Menlo Park, California 94025

To:
Access Copy

9507

RWW 14-MAR-72 10:39 9507

Reply on Postoffice Box Suggestion

(J9507) 14-MAR-72 10:39; Title: Author(s): Richard W. Watson/RWW;
Distribution: W. Jack Bouknight/WJB; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk:
RWW;

Reply on Postoffice Box Suggestion

Jack, Thanks for the suggestion on the need for a postoffice box. We will figure out some way to make such a mechanism.
Dick

Alex A. McKenzie
Bolt Beranek and Newman Inc.
Computer Systems Division
50 Moulton Street
Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138

To:
Access Copy

9509

AAM 14-MAR-72 10:50 9509

facilitators meeting on 18 March

(J9509) 14-MAR-72 10:50; Title: Author(s): Alex A. McKenzie/AAM;
Distribution: Jeanne B. North, Bruce A. Dolan, Alex A. McKenzie, John T.
Melvin, Robert M. Metcalfe, Robert E. Kahn, Richard B. Kalin, Jonathan B
Postel, Peggy N. Karp, James E. White, Steve D. Crocker/NF;
Sub-Collections: NIC NF; Clerk: AAM;

facilitators meeting on 18 March

this is to inform everyone that a Network Facilitators meeting has been called for Saturday, 18 March. The meeting will be held at BBN (50 Moulton St., Cambridge) starting at 9:30am. Since our doors are usually locked on weekends I am not sure how this will work out; however, I have the assurance of the "plant security officer" that the door closest to my office (a grey door on an old "loading dock" close to the beginning of Moulton St. and to the Superior Laundry building) will be left unlocked. If it is, just walk in; if it isn't, try ringing the bell at the 50 Moulton St. entrance - a guard should be there to let you in. If you get lost inside the building, pick up any telephone and dial my extension (ext. 441). If you need to call from outside you can try dialing 491-1851 which, if you're lucky, will ring an extension on the call director near my office. As a last resort, you could call the NCC (491-0475) or my home (861-8230).

I appologize to everyone for getting this announcement out so late, but the availability of the BBN Prototype TIP, the NIC computer, and the Journal System all leave something to be desired.

Alex McKenzie

Alex A. McKenzie
Bolt Beranek and Newman Inc.
Computer Systems Division
50 Moulton Street
Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138

To:
Access Copy

9510

AAM 14-MAR-72 11:04 9510

letter (plea?)

(J9510) 14-MAR-72 11:04; Title: Author(s): Alex A. McKenzie/AAM;
Distribution: Jeanne B. North/JBN; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: AAM;

letter (plea?)

Dear Jeanne,

I realize that there's little you can do at the NIC to help us East Coast people out when the system crashes, or is otherwise unavailable and it's the middle of the night to you. On the other hand, it would REALLY be nice if you could arrange to have the "Journal System Temporarily Unavailable" at some time other than the East Coast morning work hours. I may be more easily frustrated than most, but I use the NIC facilities very little MOSTLY because my work is largely communicating with others, and there's so much of the day when I can't do it through the journal. (Most meetings at BBN are in OUR afternoon, which means i generally can 't play with the computer much then.)

Alex McKenzie

Joel B. Levin
Bolt Beranek and Newman Inc.
50 Moulton Street
Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138

To:
Access Copy

9512

JBL 14-MAR-72 14:18 9512

TIP/NIC hang-ups

(J9512) 14-MAR-72 14:18; Title: Author(s): Joel B. Levin/JBL;
Distribution: John T. Melvin, Alex A. McKenzie/JTM AAM; Sub-Collections:
NIC; Clerk: JBL;

TIP/NIC hang-ups

I think the problem is as you surmised-- We have made no changes to the TIP system for a while and the zero-message allocations you have been seeing are quite recent, I think. I have seen it happen within the past few minutes to me here, and I was able to start up again as soon as I goosed my allocate-sender. Good luck with it [To me this is independent of the other problem I have seen--the ICP completing without the data link opening.]

1

Notes on ARC Demonstration Techniques

JCN 15-MAR-72 7:23 9516

The following notes are a first attempt to get my ideas about ARC demonstrations organized. I would appreciate your comments or suggestions about them or about how to get more people into the act.

1

INTRODUCTION

2

ARC has had an increasing number of visitors from within SRI and from outside organizations during the past few years.

2a

Many of these people have come to see Doug Engelbart and have seen the ARC augmentation system as part of his discussion with them.

2a1

Others have come just to see the system itself and have been given demonstrations - some very informal and some fairly well planned.

2a2

Except for the casual drop-in visitor, most visits require some preparation efforts by ARC people in advance, either in arranging the demonstration area or in outlining, sometimes rehearsing, the demo itself.

2b

In response to suggestions from the PODs (9353,2:hwnyG), we are planning to involve more people in giving demonstrations, both to help with the increased effort now required and so that they will have the experience of representing ARC to the "outside world".

2c

When ARC people reconsider the things we are developing here so that they can tell other people not so tuned in, the process seems to give added insight into what we really are doing.

2c1

PREPARATION

3

There are people who really have studied presentation techniques, some having worked up documents/courses on the basics involved.

3a

One such person is Robert Perry, who has developed and given presentation courses for large companies, professional societies, and the like. Doug Engelbart has attended one of his sessions recently and has the notes from that session. See (9462,) - in hardcopy only right now - for more information.

3a1

We are considering having some people (1-2?) from ARC attend such a session, bringing back more on the techniques involved.

3a2

Until such assistance is secured, I present ideas here, based on my experiences to date - limited as they are.

3a3

Access to views of working files greatly aids on-the-spot flexibility. Far less detailed preparation is needed as a result.

3b

BUT: an outline of the main ideas you want to get across is essential.

3c

Sometimes it is helpful to show the outline first if a more structured demo.

3c1

We should present a balanced set of ideas - a complete range of coverage in response to "interests" of visitors and the message we want to get across.

3d

The main objective is to use the time to present a balanced view of ARC/NIC with some interesting detail within the time and interest span of the visitors.

3e

The demonstrator needs to keep tuned into the visitor response and mood, to and adapt the presentation accordingly during its course.

3e1

Backup help is needed for crashes. A plan for carrying on during crashes helps. There is plenty to talk about even without the system, although its harder and quite frustrating.

3f

TYPES OF VISITORS - INTERESTS

4

There are many different kinds of visitors coming to ARC these days. Where they come from and what they want or don't want to see should have a bearing on the type of presentation we give them.

4a

Here are some of the different types of visitors:

4b

ARC clients

4b1

ARPA RADG ONR XEROX

4b1a

ARPA Network participants

4b2

TNLS course attendees

4b2a

Other interested people DCE and other contacts

4b2b

ARC-selected potential clients - ARC or Bootstrap Community (BC)

4b3

Outside interested individuals, companies, educational organizations

4b4

New media: writers, photographers

4b5

SRI officials: Board/Council

4b6

SRI visitors

4b7

For ARC interests, for SRI assistance

4b7a

Here are some of their orientations:

4c

Some come to learn:

4c1

To use system TNLS courses

4c1a

To learn about Aug systems and implications of our work

4c1b

Techniques we use in system design and implementation - software and other

4c1c

Some come because they have to: their organization sent them.

4c2

We need to know "where they are" before we start a

presentation if possible. If we don't we should sort of
check them out as we start the presentation. 4c3

This can be tricky, since it can lead to lots of time
talking about where they are, leaving little time for the
presentation. It all depends on the particular situation
at the time. 4c3a

Moods we see: 4c4

overwhelmed - with concepts/potential or just the
detail. 4c4a

antagonistic 4c4b

highly responsive 4c4c

dead quiet - bored -can't wait to get on to the next
stop 4c4d

too quick to "see" where we are - "lots of other text
editors around" 4c4e

DEMONSTRATION SETTING	5
Here are some ideas about the settings we have been using:	5a
Conference room	5b
Main console with up to about 6 slave monitors	5b1
This has provided some view of the screen with large groups, but really doesn't let the viewers feel comfortable with the character size and resolution.	5b1a
We have talked about getting a good projection TV equipment for some time. Every large group we have here (there were 36 people in one recently) makes the need for a large screen more apparent.	5b1b
Remove conference table?	5b2
Bring in more chairs - borrow from offices	5b3
We need 30 or 40 stackable chairs that can be brought in and set up.	5b3a
Clean out any junk	5b4
Use a clock? The displayed time can be misleading in periods of little screen activity.?	5b5
A timer with a bell	5b6
Audio recording setup works and has been used once in a while. Many visitors may feel uncomfortable about being recorded if they are involved in a discussion.	5b7
An ARC person as a monitor in the room can provide help by the phone	5b8
Cave	5c
For casual dropins	5c1
For small groups 3-4?	5c2
Not a quiet setting	5c3
Console area	5d
Not preferred for demos, unless just a friend type	5d1

This may disturb others in the area and vice-versa

5d2

AIDS FOR PRESENTATION	6
Most valuable aid: THE SYSTEM UP	6a
Charts	6b
Other participants	6c
Hardcopy materials	6d
Journal index, documents	6d1
NIC documents	6d 2
Document such as report to show publishing of large documents	6d3
It it fits, data about visit or visitors already online; makes them feel personally involved	6e
It's like a show - at times, but should not seem rehearsed. Best effect is just using everyday files to tell our story - sometimes interacting with audience.	6f
Show the console area, computer room, depending on the visit	6g
Files:	6h
Main "control point " in a file helps.	6h1
Elements of Aug Sys? Initial file? Other files reached by links set up or entered as you proceed	6h1a
Return to familiar view at intervals to restore context or to regain the visitors lost attention/understanding.	6h1b
These files may be of use.	6h1c
Baseline views, (9451,)	6h1c1
Journal index, (8713,) (8714,) (8715,)	6h1c2
NIC locator, (nic,locator,)	6h1c3
TNLS Guide, (7470,)	6h1c4
Reports, (documentation,r8457radc,) (documentation,r8622onr,)	6h1c5

Proposals, (7404,)	6hlc6
LLO guide, (documentation,110,)	6hlc7
Handbook guide (handbook,handbook,)	6hlc8
Tools/features:	6i
There are many more online features in our system than can usefully be shown to visitors in any one sitting. However, many of them will be used by the demonstrator just to get the various views onto the screen.	6i1
Some of these features must be explained briefly as they are used so as not to confuse the visitors. Others, however, are not so apparent during their use. To explain everything we do takes too much time and floods the viewers with information. A balance between describing and just using must be found.	6i1a
Here are the basic features I have been describing:	6i2
Console (mouse, keyset,display, keyboard)	6i2a
Editing (operations and entities) - cross file edits	6i2b
File structure	6i2c
Viewspecs	6i2d
Links	6i2e
Sorts	6i2f
Split screen	6i2g
User programs - content analyzer, editing	6i2h
Output processor and printer	6i2i
TNLS if appropriate	6i2j
Tell about DEX and uses	6i2k
Systat to show ARC and Net users on, Directory to show files	6i2l
Linking to another user if appropriate.	6i2m

Character size (use 2 when formats are ok)

6i2n

PROCEDURES FOR SETTING UP AND RECORDING VISITS

7

Principle: as little disruption of ARC work as possible is a main objective. It is usually best to just be in the background, not affecting the system except as another user.

7a

Compile and load times must be avoided unless a real emergency exists.

7a1

Sometimes special "service-protect" help is needed, but this should be rare.

7a2

DCE and JCN are the ARC central contact points for arrangements/decisions on who demonstrates, unless casual dropins or personal friends.

7b

Some demonstrations may require SRI or client approvals - before the occasion. See JCN on questions regarding this.

7b1

Get help on setup, monitors, backup worked out well enough in advance to assure timely help. Being ready for demonstrations well in advance (1/2 hour?) really makes for a more relaxed, effective presentation.

7c

A Journal Log entry of the visit is the responsibility of the demonstrator. JCN is developing a visitor log system to aid in this process. (norton,visitplan,)

7d

Clean up after demonstrations is the responsibility of the ARC demonstrator. Not necessarily to do the cleanup, but to see that it is done.

7e

Return borrowed chairs, move table back in, replace extra monitors, otherwise restore conference room to its normal state. Jeff, Jake, and others usually help with this.

7e1

SAMPLE OUTLINES

	8
First try:	8a
Intro	8a1
Time for talk - questions	8a1a
The console, mouse, keyset	8a1b
What if people could ..?	8a1c
Relation of our team's work to visitors	8a1d
Main ideas - 6 or less?	8a2
Augmentation meaning	8a2a
Elements	8a2a1
People Artifacts Languages Methodology Training	8a2a1a
Augmentation subsystems	8a2a2
DSS DPCS PBMS SDIS SEAS HAND	8a2a2a
A little history	8a2b
ARPA IPT sponsorship	8a2c
NIC and network	8a2d
Some projection	8a2e
How out to world - not product by us, except for sys developers	8a2e1
BC idea	8a2e2
Conclusion	8a3
What to do next, if anything	8a3a

MISC NOTES

9

A combination of professional approach, human interaction - humor - responsiveness to ideas/questions is needed.

9a

We don't know nearly as much about augmentation as we want to know. We don't know much about other augmentation systems for that matter. "Here is what we are and why" - "here is what we do think we know" are good approaches.

9a1

Remember that we are evolving an early part of what we consider to be a new technology. Thus, it covers a very broad range of ideas/possibilities/applications. It means some big changes in the way people (including some of the visitors) will work in the future. Future shock for some is on the way and our contribution may even start to be apparent through our demonstration.

9b

Some concepts/ideas will meet with resistance - even before they are made clear - because they are new, or because they are not yet clear to us. Our presentation may make our lack of knowledge all too clear.

9c

There are frequently questions about:

9d

The computer as a threat to society, privacy of information, the saving of vast amounts of data, our government funding, the complexity of our system and the learning needed to use it, our slow progress and unreliability, costs vs hard-to-prove increased effectiveness.

9d1

As a guide when describing an augmentation system, I have displayed a branch such as this (opening up level by level):

9e

Elements of an AUGMENTATION SYSTEM

9e1

People, together with:

9e1a

Tools, artifacts

9e1a1

Pencils, paper computer, display, mouse ++ 9e1a1a

Languages

9e1a2

English ... command, programming, special technical .++

9e1a2a

Methodology

9e1a3

How we read and write	9ela3a
... how we create and change and use information	9ela3b
Training	9ela4
We read and write we use information in new ways, forms, speeds for problem-solving	9ela4a

<HJOURNAL>9516.NLS;1, 15-MAR-72 7:24 JCN ;
(J9516) 15-MAR-72 7:23; Title: Author(s): James C. Norton/JCN;
Distribution: Jacques F. Vallee, Diane S. Kaye, Paul Rech, Michael D.
Kudlick, Donald R. Cone, Don Limuti, William R. Ferguson, Priscilla
Lister, Robert L. Dendy, Linda L. Lane, Marilyn F. Auerbach, Walter L.
Bass, Mary S. Church, William S. Duvall, Douglas C. Engelbart,
Beauregard A. Hardeman, Martin E. Hardy, J. D. Hopper, Charles H. Irby,
Mil E. Jernigan, Harvey G. Lehtman, John T. Melvin, Jeanne B. North,
James C. Norton, Cindy Page, Bruce L. Parsley, William H. Paxton,
Jeffrey C. Peters, Jake Ratliff, Barbara E. Row, Ed K. Van De Riet, Dirk
H. van Nouhuys, Kenneth E. Victor, Donald C. Wallace, Richard W. Watson,
Don I. Andrews/SRI-ARC; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: JCN;
Origin: <NORTON>J9516.NLS;2, 15-MAR-72 7:19 JCN ; HJOURNAL="****
ROUGH DRAFT *** JCN GDT; 9516"; :

Barbara E. Row
Augmentation Research Center
Stanford Research Institute
Menlo Park, California 94025

To:
Access Copy

9517

BER 14-MAR-72 15:48 9517

TIP Users Group

(J9517) 14-MAR-72 15:48; Title: Author(s): Barbara E. Row/BER;
Distribution: Bruce A. Dolan, Richard W. Watson, Jeanne B. North/BAD RWW
JBN; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: BER;
Origin: <ROW>BAD.NLS;1, 14-MAR-72 15:46 BER ;

TIP Users Group

Dear Bruce,

I put a new group in the Identfile for you today (TIPUG), but the
idents LWM, LJP, and LBP (which you had indicated should be
members of this group) were not recognized.

If you would send me more information about these three people,
I'll put them in the Identfile.

Thank you.

Barbara Row (BER)

1

Michael D. Kudlick
Stanford Research Institute
333 Ravenswood Ave.
Menlo Park, California 94025

To:
Access Copy

9521

ARC FILM ON NLS

(J9521) 15-MAR-72 12:45; Title: Author(s): Michael D. Kudlick/MDK;
Distribution: Jacques F. Vallee, Diane S. Kaye, Paul Rech, Michael D.
Kudlick, Donald R. Cone, Don Limuti, William R. Ferguson, Priscilla
Lister, Robert L. Dendy, Linda L. Lane, Marilyn F. Auerbach, Walter L.
Bass, Mary S. Church, William S. Duvall, Douglas C. Engelbart,
Beauregard A. Hardeman, Martin E. Hardy, J. D. Hopper, Charles H. Irby,
Mil E. Jernigan, Harvey G. Lehtman, John T. Melvin, Jeanne B. North,
James C. Norton, Cindy Page, Bruce L. Parsley, William H. Paxton,
Jeffrey C. Peters, Jake Ratliff, Barbara E. Row, Ed K. Van De Riet, Dirk
H. van Nouhuys, Kenneth E. Victor, Donald C. Wallace, Richard W. Watson,
Don I. Andrews/SRI-ARC; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: MDK;

ARC FILM ON NLS

ARC FILM

1

Friday March 17 the one-and one-half hour film of the 1969 Amer. Soc. for Information Processing (ASIS) presentation by ARC will be shown in the conference room. This is a comprehensive presentation on the uses of NLS.

1a

Time: 3:30 PM

1b

Those who haven't seen this film are encouraged to attend the showing. Attendees at Dirk's TNLS course will also be invited.

1c

Next week (at a time to be announced) a second film, on NLS as a text editor, will be shown.

1d

Mil E. Jernigan
Augmentation Research Center
Stanford Research Institute
Menlo Park, California 94025

To:
Access Copy

9522

Fir POD Minutes for Meeting of 14 March 1972

(J9522) 15-MAR-72 13:57; Title: Author(s): Mil E. Jernigan/MEJ;
Distribution: Jacques F. Vallee, Diane S. Kaye, Paul Rech, Michael D.
Kudlick, Donald R. Cone, Don Limuti, William R. Ferguson, Priscilla
Lister, Robert L. Dendy, Linda L. Lane, Marilyn F. Auerbach, Walter L.
Bass, Mary S. Church, William S. Duvall, Douglas C. Engelbart,
Beauregard A. Hardeman, Martin E. Hardy, J. D. Hopper, Charles H. Irby,
Mil E. Jernigan, Harvey G. Lehtman, John T. Melvin, Jeanne B. North,
James C. Norton, Cindy Page, Bruce L. Parsley, William H. Paxton,
Jeffrey C. Peters, Jake Ratliff, Barbara E. Row, Ed K. Van De Riet, Dirk
H. van Nouhuys, Kenneth E. Victor, Donald C. Wallace, Richard W. Watson,
Don I. Andrews/SRI-ARC; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: MEJ;
Origin: <JERNIGAN>FIR-NOTES.NLS;2, 15-MAR-72 13:54 MEJ ;

Fir POD Minutes for Meeting of 14 March 1972

Fir Pod met at the SRI Cafeteria on 14 March 1972, 3-5 PM;
attending: RWW, DCW, WRF, JFV, CP, JTM; and MEJ.

1

There was a report on PODCOM activities from the last PODCOM meeting and some discussion on goals, purposes, and directions of ARC activities as expressed by DCE in his 1962 paper and the "dinosaur paper".

2

It was pointed out again that DCE's suggestion concerning POD activities covers that, (1) PODs are asked to meet weekly for two hours for each meeting and attendance at the meetings should be unanimous, reference the PODLAUNCH paper (8651), paragraph .3a2a, "...consider that attendance and participation will be part of the 'employment conditions' for working within ARC, and thus expect to press strongly for complete and consistent attendance"; and (2) the purpose of the PODs is to discuss among themselves "personal development and organizational structures and growth".

3

Ways and means were discussed among the group in which they as individuals and as members of ARC could grow and develop. The organization of ARC was under scrutiny when time for disbanding came.

4

Barbara E. Row
Augmentation Research Center
Stanford Research Institute
Menlo Park, California 94025

To:
Access Copy

9523

BER 15-MAR-72 14:39 9523

New Baselines

(J9523) 15-MAR-72 14:39; Title: Author(s): Barbara E. Row/BER;
Distribution: Don I. Andrews, William S. Duvall/DIA WSD;
Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: PL;

New Baselines

Your baselines are ready, you lucky people.

1

Schuyler Stevenson
325 South Broadway
Boulder, Colorado 80302

To:
Access Copy

9524

SS 16-MAR-72 10:38 9524

letter to RAY

(J9524) 16-MAR-72 10:38; Title: Author(s): Schuyler Stevenson/SS;
Distribution: Rayner K. Rosich, Thomas B. Gray/RKR TBG; Sub-Collections:
NIC; Clerk: SS;

SS 16-MAR-72 10:38 9524

letter to RAY

this is a message ro ray

1

Prentiss H. Knowlton
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Mail Stop 125-109A
4800 Oake Grove Drive
Pasadena, California 91103

To:
Access Copy

9525

PHK 16-MAR-72 11:09 9525

TYPICAL MESSAGE

(J9525) 16-MAR-72 11:09; Title: Author(s): Prentiss H. Knowlton/PHK;
Distribution: Beauregard A. Hardeman, Frank P. Mathur, Prentiss H.
Knowlton/BAH FPM PHK; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: PHK;

PHK 16-MAR-72 11:09 9525

TYPICAL MESSAGE

HELLO THERE

1

Advanced Research Projects Agency
1400 Wilson Boulevard
Arlington, Virginia 22209

To:
Access Copy

9526

ARPA 16-MAR-72 11:10 9526

test message

(J9526) 16-MAR-72 11:10; Title: Author(s): Advanced Research
Projects Agency/ARPA; Distribution: Steve D. Crocker/SDC2;
Sub-Collections: ARPA; Clerk: ARPA;

ARPA 16-MAR-72 11:10 9526

test message

hey steve, pam and i are having a great time here.

1

Raynor K. Rosich
U.S. Department of Commerce
OT/ITS
325 Broadway, Room 1-4528B
Boulder, Colorado 80302

To:
Access Copy

9529

RKR 16-MAR-72 11:14 9529

another stupid message to garcia.

(J9529) 16-MAR-72 11:14; Title: Author(s): Raynor K. Rosich/RKR;
Distribution: Raynor K. Rosich, Schuyler Stevenson, Thomas B. Gray,
Thomas B. Gray/RKR SS TBG TBG; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: RKR;

RKR 16-MAR-72 11:14 9529

another stupid message to garcia.

hi, this is another message

1

David H. Crocker
Computer Science Department
3732 Boelter Hall
University of California at Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California 90024

To:
Access Copy

9530

DHC 16-MAR-72 11:22 9530

(J9530) 16-MAR-72 11:22; Author(s): David H. Crocker/DHC;
Distribution: Steve D. Crocker/SDC2; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: DHC;

greetings, steve;

hope your trip to england was fun. mom was upset that you hadn't
tole her that you were leaving the country. it's alright,
though. i didn't tell her that I had moved and she found out
when she tried to call me. She got a message giving her my new
number.

By the way, are you getting all my jounal messages? 'I've sent
several others.

This message is brought to you courtesy of the NIC NLS class.
fun.

Bye.

1

V. R. Bruffey
Seismic Array Analysis Center
813 North Royal Street
Alexandria, Virginia 22314

To:
Access Copy

9532

VRB 16-MAR-72 13:30 9532

ACTIVITY SAMPLE

(J9532) 16-MAR-72 13:30; Title: Author(s): V. R. Bruffey/VRB;
Distribution: V. R. Bruffey/VRB; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: VRB;

VRB 16-MAR-72 13:30 9532

ACTIVITY SAMPLE

TO MYSELF

ACTIVITY SAMPLE

THIS IS IT.

John W. McConnell
NASA Ames Research Center
Mail Stop 202-10
Moffett Field, California 94035

To:
Access Copy

9533

JWM 16-MAR-72 13:43 9533

RJS MEETING REQUEST.

(J9533) 16-MAR-72 13:43; Title: Author(s): John W. McConnell/JWM;
Distribution: Jonathan B Postel/JBP; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: JWM;

JWM 16-MAR-72 13:43 9533

RJS MEETING REQUEST.

JON, I WOULD LIKE THE RJS PROTOCOL MEETING TO BE HELD MAR 31 IF POSSIBLE. WOULD YOU PLEASE CONFIRM SOON IF THATS THE CASE. I WILL BE AT THE ILLIAC USER'S GROUP MEETING NEXT WEEK. EXPECT TO BE BACK WED BEFORE MEETING. I'LL HAVE A TERMINAL THERE SO WILL USE NLS TO CHECK.

1

Paul J. Zima
Ames Research Center
Mail Stop 233-13
Moffett Field, California 94035

To:
Access Copy

9534

PJZ 16-MAR-72 14:14 9534

first message

(J9534) 16-MAR-72 14:14; Title: Author(s): Paul J. Zima/PJZ;
Distribution: Stan L. Mantiplly, John W. McConnell, Paul J. Zima/SLM JWM
PJZ; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: PJZ;

PJZ 16-MAR-72 14:14 9534

first message

this is my first journal message, how do you like it?????
hopefully the next one will be more meaningful.

1

V. R. Bruffey
Seismic Array Analysis Center
813 North Royal Street
Alexandria, Virginia 22314

To:
Access Copy

9536

VRB 16-MAR-72 15:34 9536

REQUEST FROM SAAC

(J9536) 16-MAR-72 15:34; Title: Author(s): V. R. Bruffey/VRB;
Distribution: B. Michael Wilber/BMW; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: VRB;

REQUEST FROM SAAC

DEAR DR WILBUR:

I WORK FOR VERNON BRUFFEY AT THE SEISMIC ARRAY ANALYSIS LAB IN ALEXANDRIA , VIRGINIA. AS YOU MAY ALLREADY KNOW, SAAC IS EXPECTING DELIVERY OF A TIP IN LATE MAY. WE ALSO ARE EXPECTING DELIVERY OF A PDP-15 AT ABOUT THAT TIME.

SINCE SRI-AI HAS A PDP-15 INTERFACED TO AN IMP, WE (SAAC) WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE COST AND SOURCE OF YOUR (SRI-AI'S)INTERFACE HARDWARE.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

BUZ OWEN(TERMORARILY USING VRB FOR IDENT)

1

2

3

4

4a

5

6

Michael D. Kudlick
Stanford Research Institute
333 Ravenswood Ave.
Menlo Park, California 94025

To:
Access Copy

9537

Ideas Concerning ARC Technical Seminars

(J9537) 16-MAR-72 15:44; Title: Author(s): Michael D. Kudlick/MDK;
Distribution: Jacques F. Vallee, Diane S. Kaye, Paul Rech, Michael D.
Kudlick, Donald R. Cone, Don Limuti, William R. Ferguson, Priscilla
Lister, Robert L. Dendy, Linda L. Lane, Marilyn F. Auerbach, Walter L.
Bass, Mary S. Church, William S. Duvall, Douglas C. Engelbart,
Beauregard A. Hardeman, Martin E. Hardy, J. D. Hopper, Charles H. Irby,
Mil E. Jernigan, Harvey G. Lehtman, John T. Melvin, Jeanne B. North,
James C. Norton, Cindy Page, Bruce L. Parsley, William H. Paxton,
Jeffrey C. Peters, Jake Ratliff, Barbara E. Row, Ed K. Van De Riet, Dirk
H. van Nouhuys, Kenneth E. Victor, Donald C. Wallace, Richard W. Watson,
Don I. Andrews/SRI-ARC; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: MDK;
Origin: <KUDLICK>SEMINARS.NLS;7, 16-MAR-72 15:39 MDK ;

Ideas Concerning ARC Technical Seminars

Ideas re Technical Seminars

1

Background

1a

I (MDK) was asked by PODCOM members to write up my ideas on how and why technical seminars ought to be handled in ARC, in order that each POD may have the same basis for discussion of this subject as we had in PODCOM meeting. That's what's in this file.

1a1

1a1a

Motivation

1a2

My motivation for suggesting so-called technical seminars is partly selfish, partly altruistic.

1a2a

The selfish part is simply that I would like to know much more about what is going on in ARC ... present status, future plans, who's involved.

1a2b

The altruistic part is that I believe seminars are damn good for personal development. When one has to prepare ahead of time for a presentation, one learns a lot about his own subject matter. The act of delivering a seminar to a varied audience, some of whom can inject incisive, constructive criticisms, is a challenge. I think this fits in with one of the concepts of PODAC very neatly.

1a2c

Mechanism

1a3

I personally believe that to rely on totally voluntary contributions (in other words, whenever anyone feels like giving a seminar then that's when it takes place) just doesn't work. We've all got too much built-in inertia.

1a3a

What works much better, in my opinion, is to have a coordinator whose role is to solicit and generate ideas for seminars, select persons who are the most likely to know the subject matter, schedule the seminars, see to it that abstracts and/or outlines are distributed ahead of time (so that others can decide whether they want to attend), see to it that as many different persons as possible get a chance to give a seminar, etc.

1a3b

Format

1a4

Ideas Concerning ARC Technical Seminars

Usually a seminar would be one person presenting his thing, and the audience participating with constructive comments, criticisms, etc. 1a4a

Modifications of this format are easy to imagine. For example, round-table discussions (where all prepare ahead of time their ideas on the subject); or seminars in which two or more persons divide the time serially to give different aspects of the subject. 1a4b

Also, outside guests may be invited to talk (though I think this should be done sparingly, otherwise the personal development aspect of the whole thing suffers). 1a4c

Subject matter would most likely be the work that an individual is doing. But it may be some paper that he has read or conference he has attended or work he has done elsewhere. As examples I have listed below some of the things I would like to hear at ARC seminars. 1a4d

The main thing is first of all that some one be responsible for coordinating the seminars, as described above, and secondly that the person who is going to give the seminar prepare for it, and distribute (ahead of time) at least an outline or abstract that indicates all the major concepts to be covered. 1a4e

Suggested Topics (for starters) 1b

TENEX Status (Smokey) 1b1

BBN Plans for Future Software 1b1a

Archive System Status 1b1b

PDP-10 Multiprocessor Status 1b1c

ARC Contributions 1b1d

Handbook (MFA) 1b2

Present Status 1b2a

Future Plans 1b2b

NIC (RWW) 1b3

Present Status 1b3a

Ideas Concerning ARC Technical Seminars

Future Plans	1b3b
TYMSHARE negotiations	1b3c
ARPA, BBN, other orgzns' roles	1b3d
Operations (EVR)	1b4
Summary of Hardware Difficulties During Past Month	1b4a
Plans for Installation of New or Replacment Hardware	1b4b
Organizational Structures (PR)	1b5
A discussion of Paul's previous research in this area	1b5a
XEROX Research (invited guest from PARC?)	1b6
What's going on at PARC	1b6a
Status of Hardware Development Effort	1b6b
How they see ARC-PARC Relationship in the future	1b6c
NLS (DCE,CHI,MDK,WHP,PR,RWW)	1b7
A Panel Discussion of the Future of NLS	1b7a
On Using NLS (DVN)	1b8
A round-table discussion of "favorite tricks" in using DNLS & TNLS	1b8a
Journal (Duvall, Watson, Irby)	1b9
Present Status	1b9a
Future Plans	1b9b
Integration into DNLS	1b9c
Project INTREX (invited guest from MIT?)	1b10
Hardware and Software Overview	1b10a
Description of User Community, and their Role in the Project	1b10b

Ideas Concerning ARC Technical Seminars

Accomplishments to Date	1b10c
Future Plans	1b10d
Scheduler (DIA)	1b11
How It Works	1b11a
Bottlenecks	1b11b
Recommended Changes	1b11c
Display Formatting (DSK)	1b12
Changes to speed up "recreate" operation	1b12a

Jeanne B. North
Augmentation Research Center
Stanford Research Institute
Menlo Park, California 94025

To:
Access Copy

9538

JBN 16-MAR-72 16:02 9538

Request to make George A Michael member of NGG

(J9538) 16-MAR-72 16:02; Title: Author(s): Jeanne B. North/JBN;
Distribution: Albert Vezza, Richard W. Watson, John T. Melvin/AV RWW
JTM; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: JBN;

JBN 16-MAR-72 16:02 9538

Request to make George A Michael member of NGG

Al Veza - NIC has received a strong expression of interest in Network graphics from George A Michael at Lawrence Livermore Lab, and told him we would request he be made a member of the Network Graphics Group. He is working with Michener, who referred him to us. Jeanne North

1

Pam J. Klotz
Advanced Research Projects Agency
1400 Wilson Boulevard
Arlington, Virginia 22209

To:
Access Copy

9539

PJK 16-MAR-72 16:04 9539

test message

(J9539) 16-MAR-72 16:04; Title: Author(s): Pam J. Klotz/PJK;
Distribution: Dirk H. van Nouhuys, Richard W. Watson, Bruce A. Dolan/DVN
RWW BAD; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: PJK;

PJK 16-MAR-72 16:04 9539

test message

load file

1

Jeanne B. North
Augmentation Research Center
Stanford Research Institute
Menlo Park, California 94025

To:
Access Copy

9560

JBN 17-MAR-72 10:57 9560

Suggestion for Handling Unusual Forms of the Date in the Catalog

(J9560) 17-MAR-72 10:57; Title: Author(s): Jeanne B. North/JBN;
Distribution: Walter L. Bass, Richard W. Watson, James C. Norton/WLB RWW
JCN; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: JBN;
Origin: <NORTH>DATES.NLS;1, 25-FEB-72 8:23 JBN ;

Suggestion for Handling Unusual Forms of the Date in the Catalog

This is in response to Walt's Journal Message (8944,) 1

If we are to handle bibliographic records so they are reproducible, we must make provision for all possible forms in which dates appear. 2

This means that the date should be recorded so that it can be reproduced in the full bibliographic record in the same form it appeared in the document. This would seem not to be the problem. 3

In indexes, where a program must change all dates to a standard form, I would propose we live with the last two digits of the number, ignoring the month or season. In this way a program could pick up the last two digits (and a dash, in the expected cases of periodical records which normally use the date form: 1961-). 4

Michael D. Kudlick
Stanford Research Institute
333 Ravenswood Ave.
Menlo Park, California 94025

To:
Access Copy

9561

PODCOM Minutes 3/16/72

(J9561) 17-MAR-72 11:11; Title: Author(s): Michael D. Kudlick/MDK;
Distribution: Don I. Andrews, Marilyn F. Auerbach, Donald R. Cone,
Robert L. Dendy, William S. Duvall, Charles H. Irby, Michael D. Kudlick,
Barbara E. Row/DIA MFA DRC RLD WSD CHI MDK BER; Sub-Collections:
SRI-ARC; Clerk: MDK;
Origin: <KUDLICK>PODCOM.NLS;4, 17-MAR-72 8:43 MDK ;

PODCOM Minutes 3/16/72

PODCOM Minutes March 16

1

Topics Discussed

1a

POD Reaction to Suggested ARC-wide Meeting

1a1

POD Comments on PODs

1a2

MDK Suggestion for Technical Seminars

1a3

CHI Suggestion for PODCOM Panel at ARC Meeting

1a4

DCE Attendance at POD Meetings

1a5

DCE on Anticipated Organizational Changes

1a6

POD Reaction

1b

The other PODS expressed skepticism that an ARC-wide meeting would be fruitful. But they wanted to hear what Doug would have to say. Consequently there was no flat refusal to accept the need for such a meeting.

1b1

POD Comments

1c

John Melvin reported that at their recent POD meeting, Smokey and Dick were able to understand each other's premises, attitudes, assumptions through rather lengthy frank discussion, and thought this was one of the best things to come out of their POD since the beginning.

1c1

Paul Rech commented that the location of a POD meeting had an effect on the outcome --- for example, meeting in the park, with difficulty in hearing one another etc was less conducive to meaningful interaction than meeting at a round table where interaction was enhanced.

1c2

John Melvin thought that the existence of personal friendships helped in POD meetings.

1c3

I discussed what has been going on at REDWOOD POD meetings, emphasizing that the discussions have usually centered on ARC-oriented topics --- goals and objectives, PSO, technical seminars, the role of POD.

1c4

Then I brought up the idea that PODCOM organize technical seminars, explaining what I meant (see my journal item 9537).

1c5

PODCOM Minutes 3/16/72

MDK Suggestion

1d

Walter felt that for him seminars were of limited value technically, and were costly and had not much impact. John disagreed. All finally (i.e., after some discussion) agreed to have seminars, but the format etc was not hacked out at this meeting. DCE was expressly in favor of the seminars as an educational experience both for individuals and collectively within ARC.

1d1

The discussion was concluded with the following thoughts:

1d2

possibly let PODs organize seminars, one POD each week on a rotating basis.

1d2a

possibly let PODCOM organize all seminars, or appoint one of its members to carry out that function.

1d2b

definitely let PODs discuss it and we'll bring it up again at the next PODCOM meeting.

1d2c

CHI Suggestion

1e

I brought up CHI's suggestion tht the ARC-wide meeting be held as a panel discussion, PODCOM (including DCE) constituting the panel, with someone else acting as chairman to ensure that the meeting did not get out of hand, via filibustering or whatever.

1e1

Everyone agreed. Dave Hopper volunteered to be chairman. Meeting time was set for Thursday March 23 at 10:00 AM (there will be no PODCOM meeting that week).

1e2

The format, though loose, will include a statement by Doug on where he wants PODs to be going, and how well we've done so far in getting there. This could be followed by a statement from each POD about ITS ideas on where PODs are at and where they should be. It was suggested that the PODCOM representative give this statement, though that wouldn't preclude others from commenting, of course.

1e3

DCE Attendance

1f

Doug felt that after attending two POD meetings his presence was an inhibiting factor on the functioning of the PODs. So he's now in the mode of waiting for invitations, and will attend if invited. But he would like to restrict his attendance to just the first hour, so that the POD can

PODCOM Minutes 3/16/72

get some meeting time without him. Also he feels that an hour is enough for him to contribute in.

1f1

DCE : Organization

1g

At the last PODCOM meeting Doug had stated that he was working on some organizational changes within ARC and would tell us about them soon. (Sorry, I forgot to note this in the minutes I was taking last time, and didn't remember to tell you about it.) Paul wondered when is soon. Doug said, not yet.

1g1

1h

Jeanne B. North
Augmentation Research Center
Stanford Research Institute
Menlo Park, California 94025

To:
Access Copy

9562

JBN 17-MAR-72 11:12 9562

Suggestion to Change Locator approach to NIC Catalogs

(J9562) 17-MAR-72 11:12; Title: Author(s): Jeanne B. North/JBN;
Distribution: Dirk H. van Nouhuys, Richard W. Watson, James C. Norton,
Beauregard A. Hardeman/DVN RWW JCN BAH; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk:
JBN;

JBN 17-MAR-72 11:12 9562

Suggestion to Change Locator approach to NIC Catalogs

Dirk - Re your month-old request for suggestions about Locator:
It would seem much neater and just as useful to change the
present views of Catalog files as reached through Locator so that
statement names and numbers are off. - Jeanne

1

John S. Perry
1400 Wilson Boulevard
Arlington, Virginia 22209

To:
Access Copy

9573

JSP 17-MAR-72 13:43 9573

geography

(J9573) 17-MAR-72 13:43; Title: Author(s): John S. Perry/JSP;
Distribution: Pam J. Klotz/PJK; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: JSP;

geography

this is an example of the formation of the paragraphs of
a business letter.

1

Thomas B. Gray
325 South Broadway
Boulder, Colorado 80302

To:
Access Copy

9579

TBG 17-MAR-72 13:57 9579

tomstest

(J9579) 17-MAR-72 13:57; Title: Author(s): Thomas B. Gray/TBG;
Distribution: Schuyler Stevenson, Thomas B. Gray/SS TBG;
Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: TBG;

tomstest

start again

1

now we should be at 1a.

1a

third level?

1a1

start again

1a2

probably a new 1b.

1b

with luck this will become 1b1.

1b1

not sure where this will end up.

1c

Robert E. Doane
Rome Air Development Center (ISF)
Griffiss Air Force Base
Rome, New York 13440

To:
Access Copy

9582

RED2 17-MAR-72 14:01 9582

arc

(J9582) 17-MAR-72 14:01; Title: Author(s): Robert E. Doane/RED2;
Distribution: Frank P. Mathur, Richard W. Watson/FPM RWW;
Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: RED2;

arc

this is a test exedute journal command,,how many characters can
be input on a line**what willl a double asterisk do to this

1

V. R. Bruffey
Seismic Array Analysis Center
813 North Royal Street
Alexandria, Virginia 22314

To:
Access Copy

9583

VRB 17-MAR-72 14:53 9583

A Note from SAAC

(J9583) 17-MAR-72 14:53; Title: Author(s): V. R. Bruffey/VRB;
Distribution: Barbara E. Row/BER; Keywords: saac tip; Sub-Collections:
NIC; Clerk: VRB;
Origin: <MITRE-TIP>SAACMEMO.NLS;1, 10-MAR-72 23:19 VRB ;

VRB 17-MAR-72 14:53 9583

A Note from SAAC

a belated reply

A Note from SAAC

Content of memo:

1

The document which I tried to order as NIC #7747, is referenced on page 12 of NIC #7954(title: UCLA/Campus Computing Network (CCN)/IBM 360/91), which is part of functional document NIC #6740(title: ARPA Network Resource Notebook)), in the last sentence of paragraph VII B.

1a

If you can figure out what document is really meant to be referenced, I would be interested in knowing what it is.

1b

however, SAAC is being sent an initial users library, so I probably do not need to order it.

1c

Thank you very much...Buz Owen..

1d

Don I. Andrews
P.O. Box 182
Occidental, California 95465

To:
Access Copy

9584

DIA 17-MAR-72 15:08 9584

Note from DIA about seminars

(J9584) 17-MAR-72 15:08; Title: Author(s): Don I. Andrews/DIA;
Distribution: Michael D. Kudlick/MDK; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk:
DIA;
Origin: <ANDREWS>NOTE.NLS;1, 17-MAR-72 10:51 DIA ;

Note from DIA about seminars

I think your ideas on seminars are great, and I'm willing to participate.

1

As you may or may not know, I already gave one on how the scheduler works. I think you have the writeup that I submitted at that time (7845).

2

I think a talk about where the system time is going might be more appropriate. I did a little thing on the blackboard for you and Dick one morning and you mentioned that it would be a useful seminar.

3

I would be willing to give an expanded version of that, perhaps with a few details about superwatch and the changes we have made/hope to make to the system and NLS.

4

Sorry I missed the POD last Monday. See you next Wed. at 10.

5

William R. Ferguson
Stanford Research Institute
333 Ravenswood Ave.
Menlo Park, California 94025

To:
Access Copy

9585

WRF 17-MAR-72 16:08 9585

Proposed New Format of HCDISTFILE Print-out

(J9585) 17-MAR-72 16:08; Title: Author(s): William R. Ferguson/WRF;
Distribution: William S. Duvall, J. D. Hopper, Richard W. Watson, Jeanne
B. North, James C. Norton, Charles H. Irby/WSD JDH RWW JBN JCN CHI;
Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: WRF;
Origin: <FERGUSON>J-HCJOUR.NLS;2, 17-MAR-72 16:04 WRF ;

Proposed New Format of HCDISTFILE Print-out

The following is a possible new format for the print-out of HCDISTFILE after the formatting journal job has been run.

1

Document No. 9217

Printed 2-29-72 Ver. 5

1a

Master

1b

Access

1c

4 copies to:

1d

NWG,SGC,BLP,JCN

1e

Such a format would facilitate maintaining a current reference of what documents should have been printed for distribution. It would also ease keeping track of who should have received these documents.

2

If it were discovered that a journal document was missing, such a format would also make it possible to quickly ascertain which text file should be reprinted.

3

David H. Crocker
Computer Science Department
3732 Boelter Hall
University of California at Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California 90024

To:
Access Copy

9587

A reaction

(J9587) 17-MAR-72 17:40; Title: Author(s): David H. Crocker/DHC;
Distribution: Dirk H. van Nouhuys, James C. Norton, Richard W. Watson,
Beauregard A. Hardeman, Cindy Page/DVN JCN RWW BAH CXP; Sub-Collections:
NIC; Clerk: DHC;

A reaction

This is just a brief note to thank you. That I am unaffiliated with any of the agencies you normally deal with and yet was provided with the opportunity to experience you system makes that experience all te more pleasant. Thank you.

Executive Management Committee (ARC)
Augmentation Research Center
Stanford Research Institute
Menlo Park, California 94025

To:
Access Copy

9588

SEMC 17-MAR-72 17:36 9588

The Situation With CIRAD Should Be Settled

(J9588) 17-MAR-72 17:36; Title: Author(s): Executive Management
Committee (ARC)/SEMC; Distribution: Douglas C. Engelbart/DCE;
Sub-Collections: EMC; Clerk: CHI;

The Situation With CIRAD Should Be Settled

The EMC is of the opinion that we can not at this time afford the resources to participate with the CIRAD group in their Computer Aided Software Maintenance contract. CHI is preparing a letter to Dr. Overton for your consideration. Have you (or do you want to) talk to Dr. Goodenough about this?

1

Jeanne B. North
Augmentation Research Center
Stanford Research Institute
Menlo Park, California 94025

To:
Access Copy

9589

Explanation of TIPUG Ident Problem

(J9589) 17-MAR-72 18:02; Title: Author(s): Jeanne B. North/JBN;
Distribution: Bruce A. Dolan, Barbara E. Row, Richard W. Watson, Jeanne
B. North/BAD BER RWW NICSTA; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC NICSTA; Clerk:
JBN;

Explanation of TIPUG Ident Problem

Bruce Dolan - Seeing BER's message to you re the unrecognizable
idents suggested the problem, which was indeed that the printout
I gave her of your message had come from the line printer when it
was out of order and turning most J's to L's. We'll try it again
on Monday and assume the idents for JWM, JJP and JBP will be
recognized, and we'll delete LBL as a member, which was
recognized and inserted by error. - Jeanne North

1

Jonathan B Postel
University of California at Los Angeles
Computer Science Department
3732 Boelter Hall
Los Angeles, California 90024

To:
Access Copy

9592

JBP 20-MAR-72 19:15 9592

Response to meeting request

(J9592) 20-MAR-72 19:15; Title: Author(s): Jonathan B Postel/JBP;
Distribution: John W. McConnell/JWM; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: JBP;

Response to meeting request

It looks as if March 31 is too soon for the next meeting. Perhaps April 7 or even April 21. It is too bad we are so busy to make rapid progress on this problem. Do you have any comments on the documents produced ?

William R. Ferguson
Stanford Research Institute
333 Ravenswood Ave.
Menlo Park, California 94025

To:
Access Copy

9593

(J9593) 21-MAR-72 11:05; Title: .HED="FIR POD's Response to "Two Official Suggestions from the Cedar 9"; Author(s): William R. Ferguson/WRF; Distribution: Jacques F. Vallee, Diane S. Kaye, Paul Rech, Michael D. Kudlick, Donald R. Cone, Don Limuti, William R. Ferguson, Priscilla Lister, Robert L. Dendy, Linda L. Lane, Marilyn F. Auerbach, Walter L. Bass, Mary S. Church, William S. Duvall, Douglas C. Engelbart, Beauregard A. Hardeman, Martin E. Hardy, J. D. Hopper, Charles H. Irby, Mil E. Jernigan, Harvey G. Lehtman, John T. Melvin, Jeanne B. North, James C. Norton, Cindy Page, Bruce L. Parsley, William H. Paxton, Jeffrey C. Peters, Jake Ratliff, Barbara E. Row, Ed K. Van De Riet, Dirk H. van Nouhuys, Kenneth E. Victor, Donald C. Wallace, Richard W. Watson, Don I. Andrews/SRI-ARC; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: WRF; Origin: <FERGUSON>FIR.NLS;6, 21-MAR-72 11:00 WRF ;

At the FIR POD meeting of March 7, we discussed the recommendations of the CEDAR POD (9354,) concerning (1) demonstrations of the system and (2) the PSO group.

1

The members in attendance at this meeting were: CXP, RWW, JTM, WRF, J Vallee.

1a

The members of FIR POD reached the following consensus on Suggestion 1 (demos).

1b

1. There should be a canned set of files available for anyone giving a demo. (Perhaps JCN and DVN would be interested in helping to build this set.)

1b1

2. Several people should be familiar with this set of files, and receive some instruction in how to give a demo. These people could take some of the load off JCN and DCE by giving demos for any groups that Doug and Jim didn't have time to do.

1b2

3. A video tape should be made of a good demo, and saved for multiple purposes. Such a tape could be used for times when system the is down, or when the demo should not require much time by any individual. Perhaps even important visitors should see this video tape first, and then receive a live demo which emphasizes or clarifies some aspect of the system.

1b3

4. We should have advertised demo times, such as Tues. and Thurs. 3-5 pm. This would facilitate scheduling of visitors, as hopefully, several groups of people would plan on arriving together, and could all be given a demo at once, rather than separately.

1b4

Suggestion 2 (PSO) received the following consensus.

1c

1. Hire another worker to help with the clerical work. The job load is presently too high to be effectively handled.

1c1

2. This new worker should not be a TIA (Temporary Institute Assistant). It takes too long to train such a person, and they leave as soon as they have finally learned the procedures.

1c2

3. We discussed the PSO scheduling problem and CXP indicated that there wasn't a problem (PSO had already worked things out).

1c3

Rilla J. Reynolds
Stanford Research Institute
Artificial Intelligence Group
333 Ravenswood Avenue
Menlo Park, California 94025

To:
Access Copy

9594

New Server Site

(J9594) 21-MAR-72 13:38; Title: Author(s): Rilla J. Reynolds/RJR;
Distribution: Charles W. Rose, David W. Shipman, James A. Moorer, Stan
L. Mantiplay, Rainer W. Schulz, Bob Van Tyul, Jeanne B. North, Robert L.
Dendy, John T. Melvin, Kenneth E. Victor, John W. McConnell, Peggy M.
Karp, Dan L. Murphy, Rod M. Fredrickson, Peter H. Lipman, Donald C.
Wallace, Carl M. Ellison, Ted R. Stollo/TUG; Sub-Collections: NIC TUG;
Clerk: BER;
Origin: <ROW>RJR1.NLS;2, 21-MAR-72 13:31 BER
;.TABS=10,16,24,32,40,48,56;

New Server Site

Date: March 20, 1972 1
To: Network TENEX Sites 2
From: Rilla Reynolds (SRI-AI) 3
Subject: New Server Site 4

The SRI AI PDP-10/15 system is now available for use by other
Network TENEX sites, though at present on an intermittent basis.
Two user names have been established for Network TENEX users: 5

(USER) BBN
(PASSWORD) NET
(ACCOUNT) NET 6

and (USER) TENAR
(PASSWORD) ARPA
(ACCOUNT) NET 7

for users other than Bolt, Beranek and Newman. If you would like
a unique user name for your site, please call me at 326-6200,
x4618. 8

Jonathan B Postel
University of California at Los Angeles
Computer Science Department
3732 Boelter Hall
Los Angeles, California 90024

To:
Access Copy

9595

RJE Meeting Announcement

(J9595) 21-MAR-72 14:17; Title: Author(s): Jonathan B Postel/JBP;
Distribution: James M. Pepin, Robert E. Long, Gary R. Grossman, Mark A.
Kampe, John F. Heafner, Robert L. Fink, Robert T. Braden, James E.
White, Alex A. McKenzie, Jonathan B Postel, Steve Wolfe, Charles
Holland, John W. McConnell, John Gaffney, Steve D. Crocker/RJE SDC2;
Sub-Collections: NIC RJE; Clerk: JBP;

RJE Meeting Announcement

Remote Job Entry Protocol Meeting Announcement

1

A meeting to discuss remote job entry protocols in the arpa network will be held at ucla on 21 april 72. The meeting will begin promptly at 0930 and will run until 1600. Participants are urged to confirm their attendance with Bryna Lang (213 825-2368) as soon as possible. It is suggested that participants bring their copies of the relevant documents since it is likely that frenquent reference will be made to these during the meeting.

1a

The relevant documents are:

1b

RJS Meeting Notes
25 February 1972
Alex McKenzie

1b1

Proposed Syntax for RJE Commands
8 March 1972
Mark Kampe

1b2

Chuck Holland is planning to send out a alternate proposal for RJE commands, which should be relevant.

1b3

Historic documents are:

1c

RFC's 105,122,189,217,283.

1c1

Also the Data and File Transfer Protocols are relevent.

1d

RFC's 264,265.

1d1