The Algol Bulletin: Further details and other documents
The work started from a single copy of AB33-52 (excluding 41 and 44)
provided by Charles Lindsey. These copies were de-stapled to scan the
pages properly. The work took about one minute per page plus one
minute per article.
The list of contributors who were traced and gave their permission is
held separately for reasons of UK Data Protection Legislation.
The index to contributors is based upon the contents list alone.
Hence some of those that wrote to the Editor are not included as well
as the many members of WG2.1 whose contributions do not give an
explicit authorship. The index does not cover issues 1-7.
The main file was produced using LATEX and TTH. The small files used
to display each article were produced by hand with the exception of
those for large reports which were generated by a small Ada program.
The file names have been chosen to conform to ISO 9660 to ensure the
material can be placed on a CD in a manner that can be viewed using
The A4 pages are displayed using the width=100% facility, while those
in A5 are scanned as a pair of pages and displayed with width=150%, which
implies using the sliders to display the material. If any page is difficult
to view, then the GIF can be viewed with an appropriate tool. Note that
there is more resolution in the GIFs than are displayed via the HTML.
Although the ABs are very well indexed on the front sheet (page 0), there
are some inconsistencies which I have removed; for instance there is a
colon after each contributors name, and section 1 is Announcements (rather
than News items) and the title Circulation List is used (rather than mailing
list as in AB8).
Formally, the IFIP statement about copyright applies to issues 16-52, but
I have assumed it applies to all issues. Also, the style of the issues
8-15 is different (no page 0, for instance), but the index has been
produced in a similar manner.
Note that issues 1-7 have been handled quite differently. This is mainly
due to the different nature of the material. Also, Peter Naur pointed out
that his article about the early development of Algol 60 should really
be read in order to understand these early issues. (Some pages, not referenced
in the special index to issues 1-7, are not accessible via the HTML.)
In deference to the European Data Protection principles, the circulation
list information is not directly accessible from the HTML. The information
has been scanned and recorded as GIFs in the appropriate directories.
In the course of collecting this material, some other Algol-related documents
were noted and some are listed here:
- Preliminary Report from ACM. December 58. Available for the Science Museum Library, London,
Ref: L21 File 8/29/01, Part1. 15 pages, copyright ACM.
- Peter Naur's draft of 10th October 1960. Available for the Science Museum Library, London,
Ref: L21 File 8/29/01, Part1. 18 pages, copyright IFIP?.
- Draft of the Algol 60 Report of 8th February 1960. Available for the Science Museum Library, London,
Ref: L21 File 8/29/01, Part1. 26 pages, copyright IFIP.
- Draft of the Revised report of 27th November 1962. Available for the Science Museum Library, London,
Ref: L25 File 8/29/01, Part3. 43 pages, copyright IFIP.
- Revised report on the algorithmic language ALGOL 60. by J. W. Backus, F. L. Bauer, J. Green, C. Katz, J. McCarthy, P. Naur, A.
J. Perlis, H. Rutishauser, K. Samelson, B. Vauquois, J. H. Wegstein, A. van
Wijngaarden, M. Woodger, Edited by P. Naur. Scanned images with index.
- Paper on dynamic own arrays by P Z Ingerman, et al. Available for the Science Museum Library, London,
Ref: L28 File MA C1216, Part4. 3 pages.
- The Whetstone KDF9 ALGOL Translator , Randell, B. , Atomic
Power Division, English Electric Co., Whetstone, Leics., 1962. Scanned images as a PDF file. (26 pages, 1.3Mb).
- Discussions on ALGOL Translation, at Mathematisch Centrum,
Randell, B. and Russell, L.J., Atomic Power Division, English
Electric Co., Whetstone, Leics., 1962. Scanned images as a PDF file. (35 pages, 2.3Mb).
- F.E.J. Kruseman Aretz. The Dijkstra-Zonneveld Algol 60 compiler for the
Electrologica X1. 338 pages in PDF. (2Mbytes.)
- B.A. Wichmann. Basic Statement Times for ALGOL 60. Nov 1973. 60 pages in PDF. (277Kb.)
- Modified Algol 60. (This was the last IFIP-approved revision to Algol 60.)
54 pages in PDF. (274Kbytes.)
File translated from
On 11 Feb 2004, 17:27.