

journal mail fourth quarter 1973

(hdec)

(DLD2) 4-DEC-73 08:17 20699 Journal mail to Daughtry 1a

Message: If you wondering about the whereabouts of Daughtry he is in room 34 bldg 3. I still am not receiving journal mail due to system problems so if there are any messages please call me at intercom #7. I'll be glad to talk to you...signed dave 1a1

(DLD2) 18-DEC-73 05:29 20939 (MJOURNAL, 20939, 1:w) 1b

(DLD2) 18-DEC-73 06:34 20942 1c

Message: Bobbie, The tickler file seems to be useful in that items related to functions of ISI (higher level management) are shown only. It would be much more useful if a procedure is established so that individuals within ISI, ISIM, ISIS can update the file as it is constructed; that is, many times engineers have due dates, meeting notices, visitor notices, etc that should be inserted in the tickler. Perhaps Stoney can suggest a way of sharing the tickler for updates with all people in the branch. What do you think?....Dave Daughtry. 1c1

(DLD2) 20-DEC-73 05:41 21035 1d

Message: Ed, Best wishes and hope that Mrs. Kenneky makes a speedy recovery. Take care of yourself and loved ones. In spite of everything, have a Merry Christmas...CHEERS .. Dave Daughtry. 1d1

(DLS) 19-DEC-73 05:13 20966 Suggestions for Tickler (MJOURNAL, 20966, 1:w) 1e

Comments: in response to DLD's message 1e1

(DLS) 19-DEC-73 05:45 20967 Executive Summary for Initial RADC-MIS (MJOURNAL, 20967, 1:w) Proposal 1f

Comments: Who knows, maybe we can dig this up in a couple of years and shove it back into the system. 1f1

(DLS) 19-DEC-73 06:22 20968 Notes from Meeting with John (MJOURNAL, 20968, 1:w) Nicholas--PEC 1g

Comments: for the record 1g1

journal mail fourth quarter 1973

(DLS) 19-DEC-73 06:28 20969 The Initial RADC MIS Proposal 1h
(MJOURNAL, 20969, 1:w)

Comments: This is the way the proposal finally looked (for those of you who have not seen it). Its 50 pages, so see me for hard copy if interested. This is the one that Gabe rejected, although he did not see it. I am journaling it in the hopes that we can use it later in the game...like maybe 20 years

1h1

(DLS) 19-DEC-73 08:50 20973 Instructions on how to use the IMLAC 1i
(MJOURNAL, 20973, 1:w)

(DLS) 26-DEC-73 07:08 21179 Initial Directories for RADC at OFFICE-1 1j
(MJOURNAL, 21179, 1:w)

(DLS) 26-DEC-73 07:44 21180 End of the Year Wrap-up 1k
(MJOURNAL, 21180, 1:w)

Comments: Thanks for the support and attention you have all given RADC during the past year.

1k1

(DLS) 26-DEC-73 13:49 21199 Potential L-10 Programmer 1l
(MJOURNAL, 21199, 1:w)

Comments: Should I pursue this any further, or is it impossible? I promised I would let her know one way or the other.

1l1

(DLS) 27-DEC-73 07:23 21215 Emulating Command Form in SNDMSG 1m
(MJOURNAL, 21215, 1:w)

(JCN) 9-DEC-73 15:21 20819 Note to RADC Users: Transfer of AKW Online Services to OFFICE-1 1n
(MJOURNAL, 20819, 1:w)

(JHB) 16-DEC-73 10:23 20912 Notice of NLS Training at RADC 1o
(MJOURNAL, 20912, 1:w)

Comments: Duane, would you please see that everyone has a copy of this in hardcopy form if they are not likely to receive it on-line. Thanks.

1o1

(JMB) 4-DEC-73 22:25 20400 DNLS USERS' GUIDE 1p
(IJOURNAL, 20400, 1:w)

(JPC) 12-DEC-73 13:44 20860 I MAY BE WRONG BUT... 1q
(MJOURNAL, 20860, 1:w)

Journal mail fourth quarter 1973

Comments: These are my thoughts on our current situation after the meeting with Gabe on Dec. 11 on MISEs (for RADC & AFSC).

1q1

(JPC) 19-DEC-73 07:31 20970 PRC/PACER MEETING

1r

Message: I was not particularly impressed in what Mr. Nichols of PRC had to tell us under such short notice. Out of 4 main points that he brought up, we had stumbled on three of them ourselves with our local ranch effort:

1) Detailed analysis or study before any IDS design - we tried to do this as much as possible and have recommended it for all proposals although nobody else seems interested.

2) Back-up procedures for recovery of database - the procedure for recovery in our system were even more detailed, i.e. a back-up database, a data entry log to record updates, and a number of file saves as well as testing programs out on the back-up data base.

3) data base experts for "chain-chasing" to maintain validity of database- I knew we needed this type of support but we were never able to get it.

The final point was the most noteworthy and I had only begun to suspect it.

4) that IDS itself was incapable of supporting an operation like PACER without modifications to IDS and GCOS. One important type of mod was the directory for faster retrieval. We might be able to use that idea in our current effort to provide more responsiveness to our system. However, I have serious doubts now whether stand-alone IDS in an unmodified GCOS can handle the job.

One final thought: the Pacer effort currently uses upwards of 50 people ...maybe our guessimate is too small.

1r1

Comments: These are a few of my comments about what we learned from PRC.

1r2

(JPC) 26-DEC-73 08:06 21182 Some Very Early Impressions of IDS (MJOURNAL, 21182, 1:w)

1s

Comments: This was written well over a year ago when everyone was a lot younger. Anyway it gives you some of my early impressions. Make of it what you will

1s1

(RJC) 6-DEC-73 06:52 20731 tickler for week of 3 Dec - 14 Dec (MJOURNAL, 20731, 1:w)

1t

(RJC) 10-DEC-73 06:07 20825 Tickler for week of 10 December (MJOURNAL, 20825, 1:w)

1u

journal mail fourth quarter 1973

(RJC) 17-DEC-73 06:54 20922 Tickler for week of 17 Dec 1v
(MJOURNAL, 20922, 1:w)

(TFL) 18-DEC-73 06:32 20941 RADC TIP EXTENSIONS 1w
(MJOURNAL, 20941, 1:w)

(hnov) 2

(DLS) 21-NOV-73 05:28 20430 Norton and Bair Visit RADC 2a
(IJOURNAL, 20430, 1:w)

Comments: Jim S Jim..please add, subtract, multiply or divide 2a1
wherever you see fit.

(DLS) 29-NOV-73 10:25 20625 Trip to SADPR, ESD 2b
(IJOURNAL, 20625, 1:w)

(DLS) 30-NOV-73 06:16 20645 Summary and Comments on IR 2c
(IJOURNAL, 20645, 1:w) Proposal..INSTANT

(Dld2) 16-Nov-73 05:46 20329 Radcmis 2d

message: i have given some though to our proposal related to
contracting for maintenance and applications programmers. we
should bare in mind that we have valuable experience in
writing programs within a time frame that proves exceptional
by comparison to other programmers. certainly we would be
getting ourselves into the same old bag of relying on
contractors to do work we may never be able to understand.
in other words contracting 30 to 40k dollars to me seems a
mistake. i have given suggestions in a file (radcmis) that
i have prepared. please read it and consider some of the
thoughts there. as i have said before, use consultants to
advise programmers but please not to actually do our
programming....how can you debug contractor work that may be
misunderstood? also the concept of updating such a large
data base may not be feasible. case in point....we have
written a program to update three records (travel, trip,
trip-info) on a field basis. it turns out that the code
necessary amounts to as much as other programs updating as many
as six records (depending on the number of fields per record).
the idea deserves more though, as well as our accomplishments
so far. daughtry 2d1

(FJT) 19-NOV-73 06:45 20370 Tickler - 19 Nov - 30 Nov 73 2e
(IJOURNAL, 20370, 1:w)

Comments: Please NOTE that CONFESSICNS are this Wednesday - 21 2e1
Nov

journal mail fourth quarter 1973

(FJT) 29-NOV-73 07:08 20621 mess

2f

Message: I would appreciate it if you guys - when you send messages to Frank's directory, please send copy to Carrier's directory as sometimes I don't have a change to log on as both Carrier and Tomaini, if you know what I mean. And if the message should be important, please make sure you do that...Thanks much...Bobbie

2f1

(JMB) 28-NOV-73 11:27 19200 TNLS Users' Guide
(IJOURNAL, 19200, 1:w)

2g

(RJC) 20-NOV-73 06:44 20385 Preparation of Form 2
(IJOURNAL, 20385, 1:w)

2h

(RJC) 20-NOV-73 11:55 20395 Phone Hook-Ups
(IJOURNAL, 20395, 1:w)

2i

(RJC) 21-NOV-73 05:49 20432 tickler for the week of 26 Nov 73
(IJOURNAL, 20432, 1:w)

2j

(RJC) 26-NOV-73 05:24 20495 tickler for week of 26 November
(IJOURNAL, 20495, 1:w)

2k

Comments: Please note that Form 2s are due this week

2k1

(RJC) 26-NOV-73 07:34 20499 trip report form
(IJOURNAL, 20499, 1:w)

2l

Comments: I am sending to you all the trip report format. You can make a copy of it and keep it in your directory or copy it from my directory whenever you want to use it. The directory name is trip. Also, in Block 1d - Also put in the project number that was used on your travel orders and who directed the trip (AFSC, RADC, etc.etc.)

2l1

(RJC) 27-NOV-73 06:16 20548 Tickler for week of 26 Nov -
Additional
(IJOURNAL, 20548, 1:w) Info

2m

(RJC) 27-NOV-73 07:54 20569 RE - TRAVEL VOUCHERS

2n

Message: PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT PERFRANK TOMAINI NO TRAVELVOUCHERS ARE TO BE HANDCARRIED. THEY MUST BE SUBMITTED THROUGH THE BRANCH OFFICE WITH TRIP REPORT. PLEASE COMPLY

2n1

Comments: Info Cy - Col Thayer

2n2

Journal mail fourth quarter 1973

(RJC) 28-NOV-73 05:56 20618 travel vouchers 2o

Message: In regards to travel vouchers, send them to the Branch Office along with your trip report and IF YOU WISH TO HANDCARRY, PLEASE attach a note saying so and I will call you when they are ready. Is that okay with everybody. The reason for this action is because some people handcarry their travel vouchers over and they never bother doing their trip report. And this FJT do not LIKE 2o1

(RJC) 28-NOV-73 07:20 20598 Tickler for 26 Nov Thru 7 Dec 73
(IJOURNAL, 20598, 1:w) 2p

Comments: Am reminding you guys about the Procurement Meeting Thursday at 10:00 2p1

(dls) 6-nov-73 05:58 20064 fy-75/76 writeup for 5550, task 06,
on
(Ijournal, 20064, 1:w) line decision aids 2q

comments: this writeup was not finalized, as moneys in 5550 were severely cut back during its preparation. it does represent, however, the central thrust of what we plan to do, if moneys do become available. 2q1

(dvn) 9-nov-73 09:56 20135 now you can reach some one at arc
early
(Ijournal, 20135, 1:w) in the morning 2r

(fjt) 1-nov-73 06:06 19989 tickler for 29 oct - 9 nov
(Ijournal, 19989, 1:w) 2s

(fjt) 5-nov-73 05:33 20043 tickler - 5 - 16 november
(Ijournal, 20043, 1:w) 2t

(fjt) 7-nov-73 08:09 20081 additional info on tickler
(Ijournal, 20081, 1:w) 2u

(fjt) 9-nov-73 11:42 20139 tickler
(Ijournal, 20139, 1:w) 2v

(jmb) 9-nov-73 11:34 20138 addendum to (,20075); how to use
(Ijournal, 20138, 1:w) tenex's interrogate subcommands 2w

(jpc) 6-nov-73 10:57 20069 a proposed outline for the mis
proposal
(Ijournal, 20069, 1:w) 2x

comments: give this your attention and feed back to me any

journal mail fourth quarter 1973

objections, dissatisfactions, or contradictions, otherwise, i'll take it to be acceptable to all by wed noon.

2x1

(kev) 7-nov-73 10:20 20075 summary of interrogate sub-commands
(ljournal, 20075, 1:w)

2y

(hoct)

3

(arcg) 9-oct-73 07:25 19573 authorizationa
(kjournal, 19573, 1:w)

3a

(arcg) 10-oct-73 05:47 19588 seminar
(ljournal, 19588, 1:w)

3b

(arcg) 10-oct-73 13:32 19594 request for support to the base
(ljournal, 19594, 1:w) communications technology
development program

3c

(dls) 19-oct-73 07:50 19770 response to (19743,) nls crunch
(ljournal, 19770, 1:w)

3d

(dls) 19-oct-73 08:27 19772 paper for asm 517 (course 4)
(ljournal, 19772, 1:w)

3e

comments: prepared this paper under some time pressure, in three nights. i stole heavily from cavano, bair, norton, etc.

3e1

(dls) 19-oct-73 09:05 19774 count us in for qbvm data collection

3f

message: we at radc would be most interested in dnls user statistics collected via qbvm. if you can conveniently include us in your analysis, please feel free to do so. we would be interested to see how our use of dnls compares with other types of users at the arc.

3f1

(dls) 25-oct-73 05:23 19850 letter to burns

3g

message: ref (19847,), letter to burns. i think such an idea might "blow their minds in procurement. however, i would be interested in seeing how they react to it. we are currently proposing an radc management information system, which would include nls and a local data management system. there would be terminals scattered around radc, including some in procurement. i they were to start receiving routine mail from a computer or from our local printer, this might start getting them prepared. go ahead and send it...let me know how they react.

3g1

journal mail fourth quarter 1973

(dls) 25-oct-73 10:51 19855 maintenance requirements for akw
 (ljournal, 19855, 1:w) project 3h

comments: stinson seems to agree with this, but dondero has
 some reservations, wondering where the manpower is goin to come
 from. he feels that t buccerrio should still preform the
 administrative part of the package, and that they would provide
 a "service coordinator" who would contact local or contractual
 people to do the actual maintenance. 3h1

(dvn) 24-oct-73 16:21 19846 interrogate requires more typing
 before
 (ljournal, 19846, 1:w) beginning dialog 3i

(fjt) 25-oct-73 06:31 19852 tickler for week 22 oct - 2 nov
 (ljournal, 19852, 1:w) 3j

(jpc) 17-oct-73 12:17 19743 system utilization/efficiency
 (ljournal, 19743, 1:w) 3k

comments: maybe i'm just super-frustrated today or maybe this
 is a valid item for hotaction. 3k1

(tfl) 31-oct-73 07:40 19975 message to radc akw printer users-31
 (ljournal, 19975, 1:w) oct '73 3l

(tfl) 31-oct-73 12:39 19978 akw printer message-an update
 (ljournal, 19978, 1:w) 3m

(wpb) 19-oct-73 05:07 19766 i-d-s in the radcmis 3n

message: there is a file entitled <bethke>radcmis that you
 should read in your spare time. i have a hard copy if you
 desire it. also you may attempt to print <bethke>ppmis.1;1 ,
 that way you get your own hard copy or "hard" he-he-he.
 note .. the file is not repeat not complete. 3n1

arcg 5-oct-73 11:19 19531 r & t selection of the month
 location: (kjournal, 19531, 1:w) 3o

arcg 5-oct-73 12:19 19533
 data for emb news brief and personnel reports
 location: (kjournal, 19533, 1:w) 3p

EJK 21-JAN-74 12:31 21539

journal mail fourth quarter 1973

(J21539) 21-JAN-74 12:31; Title: Author(s): Edmund J. Kennedy/EJK;
Distribution: /; Sub-Collections: RADC; Clerk: EJK;

piece of info

No longer will AF Form 674s be required for any DOD sponsored seminar/symposium.

1

piece of info

(J21541) 21-JAN-74 12:42; Title: Author(s): Roberta J. Carrier/RJC;
Distribution: /RADC; Sub-Collections: NIC RADC; Clerk: RJC;

Journal Implementers to Change Tejournal Format

Agreements made at the Journal Implementers Meeting (21-JAN-74)

1. Deferred number is currently indicated by (J1234). The new XNLS will use (J) instead. 1a
2. Unrecorded will be indicated by an "attribute" field of the format " (Unrecorded) " (quotes are mine). 1b
3. The message/file distinction will be made at distribution time. XNLS submission will send F only. (no M) Other values (H,S) stay the same. Distribution will have two decisions to make - how to store, and how to deliver. 1c
4. Action mail will be indicated in a distribution ident comment, "(ACTION)"/"(Information)". 1d

(Later, the utility and ARC systems should both be changed to have these functions indicated by special distribution fields.) 1d1

We have to cope with the fact that the Utility will be running the old NLS while we have the new (currently XNLS) up here. And, journal stuff has to be able to handle both formats either direction. 2

DSK 21-JAN-74 13:30 21542

Journal Implementers to Change Tejournal Format

(J21542) 21-JAN-74 13:30; Title: Author(s): Diane S. Kaye/DSK;
Distribution: /CHI JEW JDH RWW; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: DSK;
Origin: <KAYE>MEETING.NLS;2, 21-JAN-74 13:27 DSK ;

ARC Review /Briefing for Craig Fields

Craig Fields and I will be in your area on 11-12 February. Craig is very anxious to get a complete picture of ARC activities, philosophy, plans, etc. Could you please prepare an agenda for a thorough two-day review orgy? I'll leave the details up to you, but I think the following topics should be covered:

1

NIC:

1a

Background, funding, resources used/services provided, plans for provision of services at lower cost, analysis of needs for/use of NIC services, recommendations for NIC future activities.

1a1

ARC:

1b

Philosophy, goals

1b1

Current configuration/software/implementation of NLS, plans for re-programming NLS in MPS (still applicable?), plans for NLS front-end machine

1b2

Support to various groups -- present and future -- including DEIS, seismic, Bell, RADC, etc.

1b3

Analyses of NLS use, utility of NLS to user groups encountered so far.

1b4

We will also bring along a TENEX expert from BBN to advise on NLS integration into other aspects of the projected MST system.

1c

Please send an agenda to Craig (use FIELDS at BBN-TENEX) and me before 3 February (Craig starts travelling then).

1d

Thanks ... John.

1e

JSP 21-JAN-74 14:18 21543

ARC Review /Briefing for Craig Fields

(J21543) 21-JAN-74 14:18; Title: Author(s): John S. Perry/JSP;
Distribution: /JCN DCF RWW(fyi) MDK CF; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk:
JSP;

Mike -- If it makes any difference, I think Charles Irby should be added to CCL, as per his request. Dave.

1

(J21544) 21-JAN-74 15:38; Title: Author(s): David H. Crocker/DHC;
Distribution: /MAP; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: DHC;

Jean et al: I'm glad you agree with my mods to Feedback document and I thoroughly agree we should focus on USING-based file.

In the past week, I have become increasingly uncomfortable with the Intersection Matrices Section. I can't see that it is sufficiently useful to justify that much space in the document. I believe the Boundaries Definition section covers the matter adequately. Please let me know what you think.

Also, what are the Committee's feelings about Postel's comments (of last week)?

I have some changes I want to make (mostly minor...the biggest is moving the Juman Factors section forward, as per Postel's suggestion, but then, that is easy to reverse) and will do that tomorrow. Dave.

1

DHC 21-JAN-74 15:42 21545

(J21545) 21-JAN-74 15:42; Title: Author(s): David H. Crocker/DHC;
Distribution: /FEEDBACK; Sub-Collections: NIC FEEDBACK; Clerk: DHC;

DRAFT

Jean ...

I prepared the text that follows since I hadn't heard from you and I thought that perhaps you had lost your copy of those notes on the ideas we talked about re the Arpanet News. I really enjoyed that conversation, as I felt we had come to a good mutual appreciation of how best to have the News evolve.

The text is in the form of a Journal draft that I hope you can use in announcing the formation of an advisory board for the News.

I noticed that you created the NEWS group as we discussed. I would like very much to be on it, if that's o.k. with you.

DRAFT TEXT:

This brief note serves to record a discussion between Jean Iseli and Mike Kudlick on January 9, 1974, concerning the evolution of a policy for the content, storage, distribution, and reference-ability of the Arpanet News.

Jean (as the reader should know) is more than any other single person responsible for making the Arpanet News happen. He actively solicits contributions, collects the articles, and edits, organizes, and coordinates the editorial activities of others working with him. He is dedicated to the continued success and evolution of the News as a medium for informal exchange of information about what's happening on the Network.

Mike, and the NIC in general, have been very interested in seeing that the News gets published and distributed in a timely and practicable fashion, and that its content is appropriately oriented to Network matters and stored in on-line and off-line retrievable form (ultimately with indexes to aid search processes). The NIC has been publishing and distributing the News for the past eight months, and stores current issues on-line, accessible through NIC/QUERY, NLS and Network FTP.

Jean and Mike agreed that it is neither practicable nor desirable at this time to establish an Arpanet News policy by decree. Rather, their mutual intent is to establish a MECHANISM through which policy can evolve based on the considered opinions of interested persons.

The mechanism that they thought would have the most effectiveness and represent the most varied viewpoints with minimum of effort, is an "advisory board", whose function would be to decide on issues affecting the Arpanet News.

DRAFT

The board could carry out its function of evolving and deciding policy issues by contributing to a "dialogue" file, initially to be established at the NIC (but certainly also workable at other sites), and read and acted upon by the editorial staff of the News.

2c1

To this end, Jean has set up a NIC "group ident" NEWS (of which he is the initial coordinator) so that members of the advisory board, and others as well, can send comments, ideas, criticisms, etc., to a single place.

2c2

To function well, it was felt that the advisory board should be comprised of a member of ARPA/IPT such as John Perry if he's able to participate. Other obvious choices for the board are Jean Iseli, Mike Kudlick, Mil Jernigan, Mike Padlipsky, Ira Cotton, and Dave Crocker (if they're interested and available).

2c3

Some policy issues that it was felt should be evolved through such an advisory board are:

2d

editorial mechanism

2d1

(what is the scope, content, and length of articles, and how is this decided; how shall decisions be made about articles that don't fall within the scope thus defined, but nevertheless appear to have merit)

2d1a

retention mechanism

2d2

(what gets saved, and why, and for how long, and how, and what mechanisms are needed to make this happen)

2d2a

on-line vs off-line storage facilities used

2d3

(and how they are funded)

2d3a

index mechanism

2d4

(what should be indexed, what content should an index have, how should indexes be stored and accessed)

2d4a

frequency of publication

2d5

distribution of News issues

2d6

(to whom, in what form on-line and/or off-line)

2d6a

Dave Walden Comments on Service Hosts
 - - - - -

The following is a note from Dave Walden and my reply to him. I will try to add his thoughts to our file. Dave. 1

21-JAN-74 15:19:22,2436

Net mail from site BEN-TENEX rcvd at 21-JAN-74 15:19:17

 Date: 21-JAN-74 1717-EDT
 From: WALDEN at BBN-TENEX
 Re: NETWORK SERVICE HOSTS
 cc: WALDEN
 - - - - -

DAVE,
 NANCY NEIGUS SAYS THAT YOU ARE ON A COMMITTEE CONCERNED WITH DEFINING WHAT CHARACTERISTICS A NETWORK SERVICE HOST SHOULD HAVE. THERE FOLLOW A FEW OF MY THOUGHTS ON THE SUBJECT: 2

1. A NETWORK SERVICE HOST (NSH) SHOULD BE UP AROUND THE CLOCK, EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK. THE TYMSHARE NLS SYSTEM PLAN FOR 5AM TO MIDNIGHT OPERATION WOULD BE UNACCEPTABLE. 3

2. EVEN P.M.'S SHOULD BE MINIMIZED. THE CURRENT ISI PROCEDURE OF BEING DOWN ALL NIGHT SEVERAL NIGHTS A WEEK IS UNACCEPTABLE. INCIDENTALLY, I THINK DOWN 1 HOUR A DAY IS BETTER THAN DOWN 8 HOURS ONCE A WEEK. 4

3. THERE SHOULD BE A WAY TO PURCHASE GUARANTEED ACCESS TO A SERVICE HOST. 5

4. THERE SHOULD BE A WAY TO PURCHASE GUARANTEED RESPONSIVENESS FROM A SERVICE HOST. 6

5. A SERVICE HOST SHOULD HAVE 24-HOUR OPERATOR COVERAGE. TO GET THE SYSTEM BACK UP QUICKLY IF IT GOES DOWN, TO MOUNT TAPES, TO UNARCHIVE FILES, AND TO FIELD ON-LINE QUESTIONS FROM USERS. 7

6. ALL SUBSYSTEMS SHOULD BE OPTIMIZED FOR OPERATION WITH THE NETWORK. FOR INSTANCE, ONE SHOULD BE ABLE TO DECLARE "LPT:" TO BE A TIP PORT SO THAT LINE PRINTER SPOOLING WORKS TO RANDOM NETWORK VIRTUAL TERMINALS. 8

7. NO CHANGE IN THE SYSTEM SOFTWARE OR HARDWARE SHOULD BE MADE WITHOUT LOTS OF NOTICE TO USERS -- SO THEY HAVE TIME TO BITCH AND STOP THE CHANGE IF THEY HAVE A DEMO COMING UP, THE CHANGE WILL REQUIRE ALL THEIR PROGRAMS TO BE REWRITTEN, ETC. 9

Dave Walden Comments on Service Hosts
 - - - -

8. JOBS RUNNING ON SERVICE HOSTS SHOULD BE ABLE TO RUN THROUGH SCHEDULED SYSTEM DOWNS (NOT AUTO-RESTART WHEN THE SYSTEM COMES BACK UP, BUT CONTINUE FROM WHERE LEFT OFF WHEN THE SYSTEM COMES BACK UP). THAT IS, IT MUST BE POSSIBLE TO START A MATRIX MULTIPLICATION OR LINE-PRINTER LISTING BEFORE A P.M. AND HAVE IT FINISH AFTER THE P.M. WITH OUT ANY SPECIAL PROGRAMMING. 10

9. IF THERE IS ANY SIMILARITY BETWEEN SEVERAL SERVICE HOSTS (E.G., THEY ARE ALL TENEX'S), THEN THEY SHOULD ALL BE IDENTICAL IN SOFTWARE, HARDWARE, ETC. SO THEY ARE EXACTLY EQUAL FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF THE USER. 11

10. ONLY NETWORK ACCESS (NO LOCAL ACCESS) SHOULD BE PROVIDED TO NETWORK SERVICE HOSTS SO THAT LOCAL AND REMOTE USERS COMPETE FAIRLY FOR THE SYSTEM, THE SYSTEM PEOPLE HAVE ALL THE TROUBLES THAT THE REMOTE USERS HAVE, ETC. 12

REGARDS,
 DAVE
 ----- 13

21-JAN-74 16:00:16,1102

Date: 21-JAN-74 1600-PDT
 From: DCROCKER
 Re: service host
 cc: walden at BBN
 - - - - 14

Dave -- Thanks for your comments on Server Host criteria. I will forward them to the rest of the committee. Let me make some personal commentt, beforehand. 15

I agrtee with your general philosophy of maximizing availability. I hold you criteria as goals. I hold our suggested criteria as immediately realizeable (read: enforceable). If anything, they consititue minimum acceptable. 16

A failing in our current document, is not to make that distinctin and I will correct that. 17

By the way, the document I refer to is currently <ucla-nmc>dhcservice.nls at the nic. It will shorlty become <using>service.nls at the nic. 18

Any of your suggestions that are totally unmentioned in our document

Dave Walden Comments on Service Hosts

will be added. I think most of them are really classy,
especially the continued execution after scheduled downtime.

19

Many thanks. We will make sure to send you a copy of final
preliminary (?) draft. Let us know (SERDEF at nic journal)
if you have any other suggestions. Dave.

20

DHC 21-JAN-74 20:03 21547

Dave Walden Comments on Service Hosts

(J21547) 21-JAN-74 20:03; Title: Author(s): David H. Crocker/DHC ;
Distribution: /SERDEF ; Sub-Collections: NIC SERDEF; Clerk: DHC;

I discovered the period I left off of BRM=131; directive Sunday.
Sorry to bother you about it. - Kirk

KIRK 21-JAN-74 20:58 21548

(J21548) 21-JAN-74 20:58; Title: Author(s): Kirk E. Kelley/KIRK;
Distribution: /EKM HGL; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: KIRK;

Request from RADC for remote printing characteristics.

This was requested at my Dec. trip to RADC. Perhaps it should wait until the new NLS, but it certainly does seem worthy of inclusion.

Request from RADC for remote printing characteristics.

(ACTION) Printing modification:

1

Remote print was requested to provide: default tip and port identification to the current user, default form feeds(yes) and page end stop(no), printer job cueing to permit the simultaneous printing of files by different users (currently the user must run in to see if the printer is available, quite a distance from the user's terminals).

1a

This should all be handled under a separate job so that the user is free to go on to other work after initiating the print.

1b

JHB 21-JAN-74 21:30 21549

Request from RADC for remote printing characteristics.

(J21549) 21-JAN-74 21:30; Title: Author(s): James H. Bair/JHB;
Distribution: /JCN(fyi) ANA(fyi) DCW CHI KEV; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC
ANA; Clerk: JHB;

JHB 21-JAN-74 21:47 21550

Bair/Norton Trip to Bell Canada and RADC, Dec.73

For your info.

Bair/Norton Trip to Bell Canada and RADC, Dec.73

(Trip) Report on User Development Trip to RADC and Bell Canada 1

RADC [approved, Norton, 1a
21Jan]

The forms portrayal capability was consistently cited as crucial to the continued funding of the AKW project. ARC Development is working on this problem, and are coordinating with RADC. 1a1

(ACTION) The Imlacs still crash unpredictably, although there has been some effort by DLS to begin a trouble shooting reference. The mice are worse than ever, but, the RADCers persevere. We are going to rebuild them here and charge it to RADC. 1a2

NOTHING had been done by ARC to remedy the IMLAC problem. They are still operating with a program that has not been modified since MAY. 1a2a

An IMLAC user guide was delivered, but was described as not useful by less than an expert (defined as one who has enough time to pursue the thing in depth). 1a2b

The NET is much slower than in Sept of this year, and will probably get worse as additional users realize its usefulness (which will probably decline as they do.) Solutions are available, such as additional tele-lines, but again, it takes motivated manpower to pursue such things. It is suggested that RADC do a study of the Net responsiveness to determine the real effects. 1a3

It was suggested that ARPA increase the capacity to RADC-TIP from the 50kb line capacity to 100kb. 1a3a

The NLS usage level has increased slightly since the Bair study, and more people are interested. It would appear that they could be brought up on the system with the continuation of the kind of training they received on this trip. The current obstacles are excruciating to NLS advocates, but this will be re-evaluated when the Utility is up. 1a4

In addition to slow response, multiplied manyfold by the Net, unannounced system changes are sources of impediment, eg. new Exec commands (changing the recognition of old ones), restrictions on express logins and the amount of time, etc. There also is a need for a usable reference manual, and consistent notification and explanation of system changes (perhaps the utility will answer this too). 1a4a

Bair/Norton Trip to Bell Canada and RAEC, Dec.73

(ACTION) Send 15 of the New TNLS User Manuals to RADC; 3 of the most recent DNLS Manuals and 10 Output Processor user Guides.

1a4a1

Perhaps the biggest problem is that of exceeding disc allocation, which should be remedied by the Utility allocation of 300 pp per directory (the current 50 in some cases is not enough for even the backup of sndmsg and Journal).

1a4b

(ACTION) Additional Directories, not presently requested

1a4c

Allan R. Barnum, ARB (Deputy Division Chief)

1a4c1

Agatha Deconde, AD

1a4c2

Assessment of feedback on Course structure, teaching techniques.

1a4d

The stratified course structure (dependent upon views) seemed to work well for students without any prior experience (see -- bair, course, :mG). However, when there was some experience it usually was not consistent across one level in the course hierarchy. Thus, when significant exposure exists, students will be given the entire outline to review and select those areas in which they desire further help.

1a4d1

The conceptual structure seemed most helpful (the ten basic concepts).

1a4d2

When the outline was used as a checksheet it worked well, but as anticipated, it should be more self explanatory.

1a4d3

(ACTION) Printing modification:

1a5

Remote print was requested to provide: default tip and port identification to the current user, default form feeds(yes) and page end stop(no), printer job cueing to permit the simultaneous printing of files by different users (currently the user must run in to see if the printer is available, quite a distance from the user's terminals).

1a5a

This should all be handled under a separate job so that the user is free to go on to other work after initiating the print.

1a5b

Assessment of where RADC users are

1a6

Bair/Norton Trip to Bell Canada and RAEC, Dec.73

The RADC population of users appears to be self sufficient for the time being. All those users who desired individual instruction and assistance from us received it. In addition, there is adequate expertise for any additional training of existing users. In certain cases, the level of training activity required (and the persistence to bring it off) can only be provided by local personnel.

1a6a

Additional training will be necessary at the time New NLS is released to them, probably in late April.

1a6b

Services rendered: consultation and training.

1a7

Wed. afternoon, 19 DEC.

1a7a

Discussions of the status of related projects and work in general, descriptions of training plans and interviews to determine needs and skill level, distribution of course outlines and check sheets, some individual assistance.

1a7a1

Thurs., all day, 20 Dec.

1a7b

Training provided to Carrier, Daughtry, Kennedy. Meetings with McNamara, and Iurono, and Barnum.

1a7b1

Fri., all day, 21 Dec.

1a7c

Meetings with Stone and Lawrence emphasizing the relationship between NLS and IDS (the data management system) and the interconnection between the Honeywell Datanet and the TIP (will be viewed as a terminal by both ends). Training provided to Kennedy, Carrier.

1a7c1

Thurs., all day, 27 Dec.

1a7d

Training of Kennedy, and Deconde. Terminal setup for Deconde. Meetings with Stone and Barnum and Kobos. Directory cleanup for Thayer. Contact with Thayer and Tomaini.

1a7d1

Fri., all day, 28 Dec.

1a7e

Training provided to Rzepka and Lamonica.

1a7e1

Bell Canada

1b

Services rendered: consultation and training.

1b1

Mon., all day, 17 Dec.

1b1a

Bair/Norton Trip to Bell Canada and RAEC, Dec.73

Meetings with and instruction to the Business Planning Group sans Atkinson.

1b1a1

Tues., all day, 18 Dec.

1b1b

Instruction to the Business Planning Group and meetings with Atkinson.

1b1b1

The question arose about a high quality printer. If this is not on order they should be encouraged to take steps to procure one. (ACTION)

1b2

(ACTION) A primary interest at Bell is asynchronous, online conferencing. It would most likely be a big plus to have at least a multiple person, recorded dialogue readily available. This could be done through user progs (a rel file for conferencing).

1b3

Assessment

1b4

The course went well, moreso on the first day because ground was covered that cleared up a lot of the problems and questions that the limited exposure had brought up. We could have used more time, but the long lunches were good for establishing rapport and sharing technical insights and info.; additional days would have brought us closer to saturaton as well as causing too much disruption of normal work routines.

1b4a

The 2 more advanced users were handled separately by JCN, while the more formal basic course was given to the remaining group.

1b4b

JHB 21-JAN-74 21:47 21550

Bair/Norton Trip to Bell Canada and RADC, Dec.73

(J21550) 21-JAN-74 21:47; Title: Author(s): James H. Bair/JHB;
Distribution: /DLS DCE RWW DVN JCN; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk:
JHB;
Origin: <BAIR>TRIPDEC.NLS;1, 21-JAN-74 21:42 JHB ;

Action Items due for Col Thayer

Frank, these particular items are supposedly wanted by a week from this Friday...thought I would remind you as with Thayer being out, they might be delayed or whatever...or Barnum might want to go on as usual...Bobbie

Action Items due for Col Thayer

action Item for Col Thayer - Review of ISIM Mission, its R&D Program and any expected applications of MIS technology to users.

1

Action Item for Col Thayer - Review Use of DRIPS for Software Demonstration - The use of DRIPS should provide a window into software systems. Request a proposal to IS (in coordination with ISC and ISF) on how this can be done.

2

RJC 22-JAN-74 05:45 21551

Action Items due for Col Thayer

(J21551) 22-JAN-74 05:45; Title: Author(s): Roberta J. Carrier/RJC;
Distribution: /FJT RJC; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: RJC;

Adding User Subsystem to GROUPSTAT Listing

Susan...just passing on some feedback to you from one of the RADC users....I agree with his suggestion....Have you established a formal feedback mechanism yet?

Adding User Subsystem to GROUPSTAT Listing

11-JAN-74 0559-PDT BERGSTROM: suggestion cc: lawrence
Received 11-JAN-74 05:59:02

1

I would like to suggest that a modification be made to the GROUPSTAT listing so that the subsystem being used is printed out rather than, or in addition to the user status.. Since we are all using the same printer, it would provide a quick look at the printer status (used or not used) and would make things a little easier. The dialogue in sendprint when the printer is busy might be modified to show who is using it also. What do you guys think?

1a

Addendum from DLS...It would be good to know what subsystem is being used for two reasons..1. if someone wants to send something to our printer, they should first check and see if someone else is already using the printer ie, in SENDPRINT subsystem, since the second person will lose part or all of his printout if someone else is in sendprint. 2. Also, when someone wants to link, they have been told to first check the subsystem of the "linkee". Groupstat doesn't help in either of these cases.

1a1

DLS 22-JAN-74 07:38 21552

Adding User Subsystem to GROUPSTAT Listing

(J21552) 22-JAN-74 07:38; Title: Author(s): Duane L. Stone/DLS;
Distribution: /SRL JHE DFE; Sub-Collections: RADC; Clerk: DLS;
Origin: <STONE>FEEDBACK.NLS;2, 22-JAN-74 07:04 DLS ;

I concur

Check the contract, to see all the documentation goodies you are supposed to deliver to us and ARPA. You might want to keep a running account, to know when your obligations have been fulfilled. All documentation to be delivered one month after start of contract...which was 14 Dec 73 (Ithink).

I concur

21-JAN-74 2104-PDT BAIR: service

cc: bair

Received 21-JAN-74 21:04:34

1

Please concur on the following: <BAIR>MSG.NLS;1, 21-JAN-74 21:00
JHB ; (ACTION) Send 15 of the New TNLS User Manuals to RADC; 3 of
the most recent ENLS Manuals and 10 Output Processor user Guides.
(ACTION) Additional Directories, not presently requested Allan
R. Barnum, ARB (Deputy Division Chief) Agatha Deconde, AD . If
it is OK it will be done.

1a

I concur with all of the above. Will the new TNLS Manuals reflect
the new command language, help subsystem, etc.?

2

I concur

(J21553) 22-JAN-74 07:50; Title: Author(s): Duane L. Stone/DLS;
Distribution: /JHB; Sub-Collections: RADDC; Clerk: DLS;
Origin: <STONE>BAIR.NLS;2, 22-JAN-74 07:46 DLS ;

Is there anything you'd like to know about utility users?

User Development and Analysis are coordinating efforts to develop a questionnaire/interview to obtain information from utility users. 1

As a first step we are outlining the general types of information we want and the types of questions we'd like to be able to answer with the results from the questionnaire. 2

If you have questions you need answers to, let us know so that questions may be written to gather the needed informaton. 3

We are not asking you to write specific questions but simply to submit general topics you feel we need information on from utility users. 4

SRL 22-JAN-74 08:54 21555

Is there anything you'd like to know about utility users?

(J21555) 22-JAN-74 08:54; Title: Author(s): Susan R. Lee/SRL;
Distribution: /SRI-ARC; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: SRL;
Origin: <LEE>MEMO.NLS;2, 21-JAN-74 16:10 SRL ;

TERMINAL: TI's 733ASR

Jim: In the Parsley room, the week of (1/7), TI demonstrated their 733ASR teleprinter. It is their latest teleprinter model with an attached dual cassette unit. The demo allowed us to evaluate it as a possible replacement of our TI 720KSR + ICP termicette DEX system.

Contents:

- | | |
|--|-----|
| 1. DISCUSSION | 1a1 |
| 2. RECOMMENDATION | 1a2 |
| 3. COST -- 733ASR, 720KSR + ICP Termicette | 1a3 |
| 4. CHARACTERISTICS -- some noted 733ASR differences | 1a4 |
| 5. PROGRAM -- Required Cassette program changes to input from a 733ASR | 1a5 |

(DISCUSSION):

Several of us had a chance to operate it and, other than 733KSR minor complaints, seemed to like it. The 733ASR unit is cheaper than a TI 720KSR + ICP Termicette system, (lease or purchase) and could replace it quite nicely. TI claims the 733ASR is super reliable. -- They claim mean-time to failure is two calls per year. To read a 733ASR cassette into our system it will require, what appears to be, a trivial software change to Smoky's Cassette program, and will eliminate the hassles of teaching and typing <CR><LF> at the end of every line.

(RECOMMENDATION):

Replace our ICP termicette systems with 733ASR units. Deliveries for 733ASR units are 6 months Good planning would be to order now..... -- Martin..

An opinion to the contrary: would be a bad mistake to buy it -- the keyboard is inadequate and not best suited to the user. There is no command accept button, which would mess up those whose initial files need same.

(COST):

- | | |
|--|----|
| TI 733ASR with upper/lower case option --- \$125/mo /1yr | 4a |
| TI + ICP termicette --- \$160/mo /1yr (\$70 + \$85) | 4b |
| Terminal alone (w/o cassette) is cheap Around \$1500 purchase, \$85. lease -- Charles. | 4c |

TERMINAL: TI's 733ASR

(CHARACTERISTICS):

TI 733ASR system

5

5a

Keyboard

5a1

(1) The keyboard layout is some what different than their 720KSR teleprinters we are currently using. TI transposed the CR and Rubout keys. -- A bummer till one gets use to it.

5a1a

(2) The back-arrow symbol has been changed to an under-score.

5a1b

(3) The key mechanics are cheaper, more like the tasker's keyboards than the old TI keyboard. Has not as nice a feel or char. position and char. set.

5a1c

Cassette

5a2

(1) Has several editing feature differences that are not of much concern to us unless we plan to do off-line editing.

5a2a

(2) Transmits to the main computer in character blocks that are defined as 86 character maximum or up to a DC3 code (control S) character recorded on tape. -- Our ICP termicettes transmit up to a CR or LF.

5a2b

(3) And, a cassette recorded on a TI system will not be playable on a ICP system.

5a2c

(Program): Cassette program changes required to input from a TI 733ASR cassette.

6

The TI 733ASR requires the program to detect the 86 TH character instead of a CR or LF (as is the case with ICP system), then send the next request-for-transmit to the terminal, and, of course, the protocol characters are different codes and will require corresponding code.

6a

MEH 22-JAN-74 17:05 21556

TERMINAL: TI's 733ASR

(J21556) 22-JAN-74 17:05; Title: Author(s): Martin E. Hardy/MEH;
Distribution: /SRI-ARC; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: JML;
Origin: <HARDY>TI.NLS;12, 22-JAN-74 16:54 JML ;

From: Padlipsky.CompNet at MIT-Multics
Date: 01/22/74 1322-edt

1

Performance Measurement Unioneers--

Hi. This is what I take to be my only exercise in nagging this particular group. At least, my current understanding is that I volunteered to be a collection point for drafts which each of us furnished and a pooler of same, rather than a hyperactive "coordinator" along the lines of NETED and CCL activities. (A node, not a goad, if you will.) Am sending a copy of this to Craig Fields so that he can correct me if that understanding is wrong, but I don't really think it is -- and even if it were the first thing I'd ask for would be drafts from everybody anyway. Sooooo... consider yourselves nagged.
cheers, map

2

MAP 22-JAN-74 10:26 21557

(J21557) 22-JAN-74 10:26; Title: Author(s): Michael A. Padlipsky/MAP
; Distribution: /CONUNION ; Sub-Collections: NIC CONUNION; Clerk: MAP;

From: Padlipsky.CompNet at MIT-Multics
Date: 01/22/74 1329-edt

1

Al, et al.--

An "instant analysis" of the outline prompts me to point out one possible pitfall: the implication that ALL help is available on a pre-login basis runs counter to the policies of the "owners" of some Hosts (Multics for one, I fear) in that they 1) tend not to be technically geared up to do things pre-login, because 2) they tend to feel that everything except help on how to login should be paid for (i.e., done in a logged in process). Now, I know there are many ways around this sort of problem, but I do wonder if it's worthwhile to get into that sort of mare's nest. Is the pre-login stuff REALLY necessary beyond the level of help on logging in? (Or have I drawn the wrong inference from the outline, and is it a non-issue? That would be nice.)

Possibly useful input: while snowed out of Boston, I dropped by SDC and in chatting with Mort Bernstein discovered that they've been working on a similar sort of thing (on internal support). Might be good if Al sent him mail asking for some details (I didn't want to press the point at the time) and for that matter it might be useful to include him in the deliberations (although I don't want to open the can of snakes about who gets to play with our ball). cheers, map

2

(J21558) 22-JAN-74 10:33; Title: Author(s): Michael A. Padlipsky/MAP
; Distribution: /HELPCDOC ; Sub-Collections: NIC HELPCDOC; Clerk: MAP;

Any Easy Way to Get at SRI-ARC Files While Running at OFFICE-1

I've written a very simple NLS user program which one can employ to copy a file from SRI-ARC to OFFICE-1 while running at OFFICE-1 (if FTPSRV were running at OFFICE-1 you could run it at SRI-ARC and pull a file over from OFFICE-1). Besides being much simpler to use than FTP (it only asks you for a filename), it has none of the latter's other drawbacks (e.g., it doesn't transfer a zero page for each non-existent page in an NLS file). The REL file for the pgm is currently <VANNOUHUYS>NETXFER.REL at OFFICE-1.

1

JEW 22-JAN-74 12:06 21559

Any Easy Way to Get at SRI-ARC Files While Running at OFFICE-1

(J21559) 22-JAN-74 12:06; Title: Author(s): James E. (Jim)
White/JEW; Distribution: /SRI-ARC; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: JEW;

A SEAS Idea, Offered with No Expectations

This suggestion is very unpolished and little thought out. It's an alternative to the current conceptualization of NDDT, and therefore a jumping-off point for a possible re-write of NDDT.

How about using an NLS file as a model for the address space (AS). View the AS as an NLS, tree-structured file, each of whose statements corresponds to a word in the AS. All statements would be at the top level (it wouldn't be an EXCITING file, structurally speaking), with statement NUMBERS corresponding to addresses (i.e., Statement .140 would correspond to the word at location 140 in the AS), and statement NAMES corresponding to global symbols accessible at run-time via the symbol table.

Present the AS to the user as such a file. Don't require him to type:

S[how] L[ocation] err CA

Let him type:

P[rint] S[atement] err CA CA (TNLS) or
J[ump to] I[tem] err CA CA (DNLS)

If he's in DNLS (which is where the advantages of this model immediately become apparent), he gets, of course, not only that particular location, but a whole screens-worth of the address space.

Some possibilities (in more-or-less random order):

(1) One could jump around in the address space as one can in a file with JUMP ITEM, JUMP SUCCESSOR, JUMP PREDECESSOR, etc., using statement numbers (addresses) or names (symbols).

(2) Each word displayed on the screen could be represented by the system in any of several manners, under viewspec control. One viewspec might cause the AS to be displayed in pseudo-assembly language; another in ASCIZ; still another in octal; another to flag breakpointed statements, modified ones, etc.

(3) All the intra-statement editing commands (e.g., DELETE CHARACTER, INSERT WORD, TRANSPOSE TEXT, etc.) could be applied to the image presented on the screen, causing the expected change to the word in the AS.

'MOVE r1, test' could be changed to 'MOVEM r1, test'
with INSERT CHARACTER or REPLACE WORD

(4) One could provide a viewspec mechanism for causing statement

A SEAS Idea, Offered with No Expectations

- numbers to be displayed in octal (since they're addresses, in this case). 6d
- (5) One could split the screen and display his address space in one display area and his NLS source file in another. 6e
- (6) INSERT STATEMENT might patch a new word into the address space (perhaps represented as down a level from the word which it follows). 6f
- (7) New commands would be defined for peculiar functions such as setting breakpoints (perhaps B[reakpoint] S[tatement] bug CA). 6g
- (8) One might permit JUMP LINK on a statement such as:
 pushj p,err
 with the effect being a jump to statement (ERR). 6h
- (9) OUTPUT QUICKPRINT might generate the expected printer listing (including how much of the address space, I don't know). 6i
- (10) And on and on ... Probably neater thinks still in MPS. 6j

JEW 22-JAN-74 12:58 21560

A SEAS Idea, Offered with No Expectations

(J21560) 22-JAN-74 12:58; Title: Author(s): James E. (Jim)
White/JEW; Distribution: /SRI-ARC NP; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC NP;
Clerk: JEW;
Origin: <WHITE>ARCMMSG.NLS;3, 22-JAN-74 12:55 JEW ;

CR, LETTER-formatter, etc.

P.S., LETTER is a user-program and expects to run with the NLS environment. You should write the body of your letter, leaving out salutation, addresses, and goodbye. The use Goto Programs Get (rel-file) LETTER CA Execute (program) LETTER CA. This program will then interact with you to find out things about the recipient and you, and will supply the missing part and formatting directives. You can then edit the file even further or just do Output Devce Teletype CA (if you are at a good hardcopy terminal) or Output Device Printer (to file) <YOUR-DIRECTORY>YOUR-FILE.YCUR-EXT CA. Then use SENDPRINT (at the EXEC) to convert it into a network standard file and FTP it to your printer. (this is allbeing moved into NLS and made very easy for te user, patience till then.).

CR, LETTER-formattor, etc.

Jeff, I am very sorry to hear about your difficulties with CR, LETTER, etc. I made the (obviously wrong) assumption that the control character redefinition and the use of the literal-escape key were clearly described in the user's manual. I should have been much more attentive to your plight. However, we are very busy here, as always. (what are the chances of coming up and spending a day with one of our user-training people, might save much hardship for you?)

1

CHI 22-JAN-74 13:12 21561

CR, LETTER-formattor, etc.

(J21561) 22-JAN-74 13:12; Title: Author(s): Charles H. Irby/CHI;
Distribution: /JGR; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: CHI;

KIRK 22-JAN-74 13:53 21562

Status of SCHOLAR with respect to Office-1 and new NLS

(J21562) 22-JAN-74 13:53; Title: Author(s): Kirk E. Kelley/KIRK ;
Distribution: /SCHOLAR dvn (fyi) ; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC SCHOLAR;
Clerk: KIRK ;

KIRK 22-JAN-74 13:53 21562

Status of SCHOLAR with respect to Office-1 and new NLS

All network user directories will be moved over to Office-1 Tuesday
January 25, 1973 if everything goes as expected. However, the new
NLS will only be running at ARC for some months. If you wish to use
it, log in as documentation (password kwcs) at SRI-ARC. There is
room in this slot from 8-11 your time.

Hostname Change for MIT-DMCG

Ferg-- Al Veza has requested that we change the hostname 'MIT-DMCG' to 'MIT-DMS' (also, therefore, the nickname 'DMCG' to 'DMS'). Would you do that? Thanks. --Jim

1

JEW 22-JAN-74 14:17 21563

Hostname Change for MIT-DMCG

(J21563) 22-JAN-74 14:17; Title: Author(s): James E. (Jim)
White/JEW; Distribution: /WRF; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: JEW;

DRAFT on NIC Services Jan '74

NIC at ARC

Minimum Services (manyears on left)

- | | |
|--|-----|
| | 1 |
| | 1a |
| 1.0 NIC Manager (opns, 0.5 dev, 0.5) | 1a1 |
| 3.0 Arpanet Directory (incl identfile maint)
Resource Notebook (incl "ref desk")
Hostnames Maintenance | 1a2 |
| 1.0 RFC's
Network Mail Distribution
Group Membership and Distr of Notes etc. | 1a3 |
| 0.5 Arpanet News | 1a4 |
| 0.5 Visitors
Network Participation on matters of NIC interest | 1a5 |
| 1.0 Indexes
Catalogs
Locator | 1a6 |
| 2.0 Software (opns 0.5, dev 1.5) | 1a7 |

Computer Requirements

- | | |
|---|-----|
| | 1b |
| NIC users ... 4 slots minimum, with PR's sub-allocation scheme | 1b1 |
| NIC staff ... 2 slots minimum, plus time to run NIC opns programs for documentation production, plus file space for on-line documents | 1b2 |

Main Considerations

- | | |
|--|------|
| | 1c |
| The above requirements are minimum. | 1c1 |
| There is no allowance made for an accelerated growth of services, neither in quality nor quantity nor kinds of services. | 1c1a |
| There is some allowance (the "development" manpower) for developing new services on a relatively slow, i.e., two-year, time scale. | 1c1b |

The above requirements are predicated on a continued (and improved) "symbiotic" relationship with ARC and NLS, as

DRAFT on NIC Services Jan '74

described in my paper on "NIC Goals, Problems, and Requirements". 1c2

Computer services for file entry and editing and browsing, dialogue support mechanisms, document production capabilities, connection to network technology --- all are supplied by ARC and NLS. 1c2a

Without this relationship, the NIC requirements have to be re-evaluated (see below). 1c2b

To be viable in an R&D environment, there must be an R&D aspect to the NIC. 1c3

R&D in the field of network-related information centers is needed today; yet no one is apparently chartered to do this at the present. 1c3a

The NIC could quickly evolve to embrace interesting, challenging R&D work in this area. 1c3b

Therefore, neither ARC nor SRI should agree to undertake a pure "NIC service" function. (I personally do not want such an assignment.) 1c3c

The NIC is a challenge; as such, it requires high-caliber individuals. 1c4

These kinds of individuals will not be attracted to a strictly service-oriented NIC. 1c4a

If somehow attracted, they would not long be satisfied to remain with such a NIC, especially in an organization like ARC or SRI where they would be surrounded by many evident challenges. 1c4b

The success of the NIC also depends greatly on interactions with the NIC user community. 1c5

We have specifically recommended that this be accomplished through a "NIC advisory board", chaired (AT LEAST STRONGLY SUPPORTED) by ARPA. 1c5a

NIC Elsewhere than ARC 2

Minimum Services 2a

Without computer support, not all functions of the NIC that are listed above could be carried on. 2a1

DRAFT on NIC Services Jan '74

The ARPA Net Directory, maintenance of Hostnames, and handling of RFC's could probably be done without computer assistance. 2a2

The Resource Notebook, distribution of Network Mail, indexes and catalogs to dialogue and reference documents, and meaningful participation in Network growth could in all likelihood not be carried out by a NIC that did not use computer systems as an integral part of its work. 2a3

Requirements 2b

We need to be prepared to estimate what it would take to run a NIC totally detached from ARC. 2b1

Perhaps the roughly 3.5 manyears representing work on the ARPANET Directory, Resource Notebook, RFC distribution, and Hostnames maintenance, and participation in Network growth could be transferred relatively easily to some place like BBN. 2b2

Perhaps the roughly 1.0 manyears representing ARPANET News, and handling of visitors could be transferred to some place like MITRE. 2b3

But the work (about 2.0 manyears) of Network Mail distribution, group membership support, and maintenance of indexes and catalogs would probably have to be dropped. 2b4

And the underlying computer systems support of ARC and NLS can not easily be estimated as a "transfer" quantity for a new NIC. 2b5

Other Considerations 2c

Surely we would have to provide some "start-up" services, 2c1

such as translating NLS data bases into a new NIC's format requirements, 2c1a

providing counsel on procedures, problems, status, etc. 2c1b

This could require some on-going consulting, but would certainly require some heavy initial consultation, perhaps a man-month. 2c1c

DRAFT on NIC Services Jan '74

(J21564) 22-JAN-74 15:57; Title: Author(s): Michael D. Kudlick/MDK;
Distribution: /MDK; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: MDK;
Origin: <KUDLICK>EANDN.NLS;1, 20-DEC-73 08:43 MDK ;

Draft on Server Host Criteria sent to DHC 10 Jan 74

Dave ... I've also asked those ARCers who attended the USING meeting to comment on this, but I don't have their comments yet. If I get any, I'll pass them on to you immediately. ... Mike

The criteria proposed in this note fall into these arbitrary categories:

Availability
Reliability
Stability
Documentation
Services

Availability

Suggested minimum uptime schedule for a Server Host is:
12 hours/day, 6 days/week.

Reliability

Crashes

"Crash" means that the Server Host computer system is down and inaccessible from terminals connected to the ARPANET. (However, if only the Host's IMP or TIP interface to the ARPANET is down and everything else is operational and usable, then the system will not be considered down.)

The computer system and all supporting functions must be "fully operational and usable" in advertised fashion through the ARPANET at least 90 percent of the time during which it is advertised to be available, with no more than three "crashes" during any six consecutive days' period of operation.

Archival Storage and Retrieval

By "archival storage and retrieval" is meant recoverable storage of user-designated files, on magnetic tape or other tertiary storage medium.

The Server Host system should have facilities to allow its operator to cause user-selected files to be archived automatically. This function should be performed weekly or oftener.

Upon user request to the Server Host Operations Manager, an archived file should be placed back into the on-line storage medium within a period of time that for timesharing systems is not longer than one hour and preferably as short as 10 to 15

Draft on Server Host Criteria sent to DHC 10 Jan 74

minutes after the user request is received. (For RJE systems, this time constraint could be extended to as much as perhaps eight hours.)

4b3

Lost or Damaged Files

4c

If any file is lost or damaged as a result of hardware malfunction or operator error, the Server Host computer system will be considered to be not fully operational and usable commencing with that hour in which the problem was detected, and continuing until the problem is corrected.

4c1

A billing credit for file storage charges incurred by a user from the point in time that a file is damaged or lost to the point in time that the latest intact version of it is restored should be made to that user's account.

4c2

Recovery of the latest intact version of a damaged or lost file should be accomplished within a four-hour period from the time of notification to the Server Host's Operations Manager.

4c3

The utility operation of saving the changed files of the on-line file storage medium by dumping them onto an off-line, tertiary (back-up) storage medium such as magnetic tape must be done at least once per day. (This is not the same function as "archiving", described above, archiving being permanent tertiary storage of selected files).

4c4

Files thus dumped must be saved on a systematic cyclic retention basis, which we suggest should be something like the following:

4c5

- CHANGED files should be dumped once per DAY and those so dumped during the most recent six days should be retrievable on request to the Server Host Operations Manager.

4c6

- ALL files should be dumped once per WEEK and those so dumped during the most recent four weeks should be retrievable on request to the Server Host Operations Manager.

4c7

- ALL files should be dumped once per MONTH and those so dumped during the most recent three months should be retrievable on request to the Server Host Operations Manager.

4c8

Stability

5

Major changes to Server Host system

5a

A Server Host should provide quality controlled assurance that

Draft on Server Host Criteria sent to DHC 10 Jan 74

major changes to its system do not invalidate previously used procedures, subsystems, or other software facilities without ample (minimum of one-month) notification to the user community.

5a1

The quality controls should make reasonable attempts to assure that new system changes WORK, that adequate backup to the replaced system software is feasible (i.e., that the transition isn't irreversible if major bugs are uncovered), and in short that the user community's dependence on the Server Host resources isn't drastically affected without adequate alternatives.

5a2

Frequency of changes to billing (rate) schedule

5b

Changes to the billing schedule should be minimized, given the dependence of users on annual budgets.

5b1

Documentation

6

User-oriented documentation should be available in the following forms:

6a

- Guide to accessing the Server Host over the net (NETREF concept)

6b

- System and subsystem primers and reference manuals

6c

- Manuals on how to use programs and other resources in the utility library, if one exists

6d

- On-line HELP system (for timesharing systems) to provide both novice and experienced users with on-line assistance in using software and hardware resources of the Server Host

6e

- Up to date NIC Resource Notebook data

6f

- Schedule of rates for services offered

6g

Services

7

User Interfaces

7a

A person knowledgeable in use of the Server Host software resources must be available to answer requests for general (beginner-level) information about use of the server Host computer system. A manual on system usage should also be available to users.

7a1

The requests that can be anticipated will concern file status,

Draft on Server Host Criteria sent to DHC 10 Jan 74

output status, system availability, storage space allotments, and the use of particular Server Host subsystems.	7a2
File Recovery	7b
Recovery of files lost, damaged, or archived should be done as prescribed above, under "Reliability".	7b1
Optional Services	7c
Express Service	7c1
Provision should exist for some type of rapid turnaround service (usually called "express" service). This would allow users using resources within a well defined set of minimum operations to receive system response at a rate greater than that for users using resources that are OUTSIDE the constraints of express service.	7c1a
Overnight Service	7c2
Provision should exist for reduced rates for use of computer resources during other than "prime" hours, both to encourage a leveling of the load average by moving non-essential jobs to off-hours, and to encourage more utilization of the system by users with limited funds.	7c2a
User Billing Info	7d
Accounting for Resources Used	7d1
A detailed monthly report, by account number and user and/or project identity, must be provided to users who are billed for Server Host system usage.	7d1a
Usage Statistics	7d2
Accompanying billing invoices, users should receive a statement of Server Host resources used in the billing time period. Specifically, the statement should include a detailed summary of storage usage, CPU cycles used, "connect time" used, and usage of any other billed entities, in appropriate units.	7d2a

MDK 22-JAN-74 16:00 21565

Draft on Server Host Criteria sent to DHC 10 Jan 74

(J21565) 22-JAN-74 16:00; Title: Author(s): Michael D. Kudlick/MDK;
Distribution: /MDK; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: MDK;
Origin: <KUDLICK>SERVICE.NLS;5, 10-JAN-74 16:31 MDK ;

Jon--

I thank you for your prompt action on my FTP comments. I have not responded until now because I have been away from the office the last two weeks. I am agreeable to your idea of getting comments privately from the wheels you listed, but I am unclear as to whether you wish to do this yourself, or you suggest that I do it. I suspect that you are in the process of doing it yourself, as I have received a critique of my RFC-to-be from Wayne Hathaway. In any event, I'd like you not to circulate it to anyone else right now. I sent a copy to Jim White at the same time I sent it to you, and have gotten considerable feedback from him, enough so that I realize I have some work yet to do on it before it would be productive for anyone else to make comments on it. So, in the next few days I will produce a revision, incorporating suggestions from you, Jim, and Wayne, and send it back to you. You might as well forward to me any additional comments you have already collected or get between now and the time you get my revision.

1

As to the fact that you agree with all points, I am overjoyed. Your clarifications are reasonable:

2

point 5. I agree that the problem of line length applies to server too. I did not think of mail, but since the new (RFC 542) FTP protocol does not include mail, one could make an argument that it need not be mentioned in line length restrictions now, but rather make the observation that whenever and wherever mail comes into being, there should be a line length restriction. In any event, I agree with your comment, and agree to include this in point 5.

3

point 7. You misunderstood (I think) my English. Change the first part of the first sentence to read: 'If it is the case that multi-line replies are allowed to be nested at all, ...' I myself don't see any reason to allow nested replies, and if my solution to (6) is implemented, the matter becomes purely academic anyway. I simply meant that if I couldn't get my solution to (6) accepted, and if nested replies were retained, I would like to specify a maximum allowed level of nesting. Would it make you happy if I changed the last sentence of (7) to read: 'SOLUTION: either disallow nested replies (preferred), or specify a maximum level of nesting of multi-line replies.'? If so, I would be happy to do that.

4

point 9. 'At least correct the bad cases' is not the idea I had in mind. In order to make it easy for the implementer of a user process, he must be able to assume the rule given as a solution in (9), WITHOUT having to check each command to see if it adheres to the

rule. The thing to do is to make the requirement that all success replies begin with '2', and then change anything that conflicts with it. If this turns out to be nothing more than 'correct the bad cases', fine, but it is necessary to have the protocol include the GENERAL rule (goes along with the notion that a protocol should be a collection of general rules, rather than a collection of special cases).

5

If it looks to you from the above like I understand your comments, fine, otherwise I'd appreciate a word to the contrary.

--Mark

6

MCK 22-JAN-74 16:41 21566

(J21566) 22-JAN-74 16:41; Title: Author(s): Mark C. Krilanovich/MCK;
Distribution: /JBP; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: MCK;
Origin: <UCSB>JBPNOTE.NLS;3, 22-JAN-74 16:33 MCK ;

Mike, Dick, and Jim,
In response to Nancy Neigus¹ (21427,) I have drafted <USING,WAC,>. you might want to look it over before I submit it so you'll know what I'm suggesting. It's a think piece about what the Whole Arpanet Catalog might be like.

1

(J21567) 22-JAN-74 17:01; Title: Author(s): Kirk E. Kelley/KIRK;
Distribution: /MDK RWW; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: KIRK;

<kudlick,service,) not online. you're right, i didn't mean to delete
criteria on archiving. still got a copy around? Dave.

1

DHC 22-JAN-74 17:52 21568

(J21568) 22-JAN-74 17:52; Title: Author(s): David H. Crocker/DHC;
Distribution: /MDK; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: DHC;

Comments and Questions of Feedback document

I have made some fairly heavy changes to (using,feedback,) and left (using,feedback-old,) around before doing the really major stuff, in case there is a vote to use what I deleted. Specifically, the work of art called the Matrices section, is deleteed. It hurt (knowing how much effortt went into creating it) but I can't see that it is that valuable to the reader. Let me know if y'all disagree with me.

Still have some typo-type changes to make.

The (using,feedback,boundaries:g) section still needs someone to work on it. What do the participants participate in? That is, does this category refer to the users of the feedback mechanism or to the object of the feedback mechamism (what the users refer/question/complain about)? The same goes for Transaction-types.

What is the "Requirements" transaction type?

In general, these need to be explained much more.

The same hholds for the Data-bases explanations in the (using,feedback,elements) section. E.G., What is the difference between the Transactions and Feedback Data-bases?Don't explain something simply by reiterating its title. I would try to rework the copy, but really don't knw what y'all have in mind.

I like the changes y'all have made so far. Dave.

DHC 22-JAN-74 18:32 21569

Comments and Questions of Feedback document

(J21569) 22-JAN-74 18:32; Title: Author(s): David H. Crocker/DHC;
Distribution: /FEEDBACK; Sub-Collections: NIC FEEDBACK; Clerk: DHC;

Correction to (21562,) for when network user directories will be moved to Office-1 from SRI-ARC. Tuesday January 29, 1974 if everything goes as expected.

1

(J21570) 22-JAN-74 19:52; Title: Author(s): Kirk E. Kelley/KIRK;
Distribution: /SCHOLAR DVN(fyi); Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC SCHOLAR;
Clerk: KIRK;

Hopper: cf 21509, here's my original

Dave: You will find my material for Journal 21444 as Plex 1a in File (Engelbart, X21444,), where Statement 1 is the Process Form that I used to submit the sub-plex. Incidentally, I have long made it a habit of saving the original until I felt safe about its being in the Journal; nice that it finally paid off, huh? Regards, Doug.

1

DCE 23-JAN-74 02:04 21571

Hopper: cf 21509, here's my original

(J21571) 23-JAN-74 02:04; Title: Author(s): Douglas C.
Engelbart/DCE ; Distribution: /jdh ; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk:
DCE ;

Feedback on Feedback..or Loop-the-Loop

In my dim and distant past, when I was a EE, I remember having trouble with circuits with multiple feedback loops. They were mostly unstable and often burned themselves out. I guess I was bugging Susan to make sure that the formal feedback mechanism was indeed set up. I often receive feedback myself, which I can only pass on to someone at SRI. I will be more than happy to dump my problems on you in the future. A couple of items of interest:

1. I discussed the Forms system status and direction with Tomaini. He feels that just developing a system which will fill out forms from NLS files is more than a trivial task. We (the NLS using community within the govt) will always have to interface with the outside world. He supports the interface with the Data Computer to demonstrate to the AF using community (including RADC) what can be done on the ARPANET. However, he points out that the AF has no PDP-10's and is concerned that the interface to the Data Computer cannot be used directly within the AF. We are apparently becoming more and more a support group for the WWMCCS community, which has Honeywell machines, GECOS, MULTICS, IDS, etc. We will be giving a formal reply to Dick, hopefully by the end of the week.

2. The section has been going through an introspection exercise in preparation for the annual Roles and Goals pitch to the Div. in Feb. The AKW group has decided to go ahead and set up a pseudo forms system using existing NLS capability. Much of the effort will go into establishing procedures for moving paperwork around within the system, so it shouldn't be all wasted when the "real" forms system comes to life.

3. We are still having problems with the mouse. That is, the IMLAC program appears not to be able to accept mouse button commands if they are given in to rapid a sequence. If I say Jump to Item and hit the <CA> mouse button rapidly twice, TENEX echos "undefined input". If I hit the <CA> button again, it says "no such marker". When in the insert text mode and I hit the backspace character or backspace word buttons, it kills the text I have been typing and puts me back in the command mode. This morning I did a delete character, and it blew up the IMLAC program..blank screen..had to reload.

I have tried different IMLACs, different MICE, and via the Utility, different NLS's. All give the same results. I can do any of the above mouse things as long as I don't try to do them too fast, ie if I wait until the bug appears before giving the second <CA>. It seems that the IMLAC can't handle interrupts fast enough. Dave is aware of this problem, but can't duplicate it out there. We are running version 164 of IMNLS. I won't be able to get version 166 until T Lawrence comes back

Feedback on Feedback..or Loop-the-Loop

from travel (Fri) I think, since he has the cassette tapes and procedures in a secret place.

1c1

21572 Distribution

James H. Bair, Edmund J. Kennedy,

Feedback on Feedback..or Loop-the-Loop

(J21572) 23-JAN-74 07:28; Title: Author(s): Duane L. Stone/DLS;
Distribution: /JHB EJK; Sub-Collections: RADDC; Clerk: DLS;
Origin: <STONE>BAIR.NLS;1, 23-JAN-74 07:26 DLS ;

Feedback Mechanism

FEEDBACK

Kirk Kelley and I noticed today that the ident FEEDBACK has been created. As you may have noticed in the files I mentioned in an earlier sndmsg, we had tentatively planned to use that or some similar ident too.

It seems to us that what we are trying to do is essentially the same as what you are and that a closer cooperation would be to the advantage of both of us.

I suppose there are some advantages to having separate feedback mechanisms, but there are also advantages to having a centralized system. I think (but am not sure) that we are interested in the same group of people (ARPANET users) but in different subjects (you in net problems, us primarily in NLS problems).

There is opposition to a centralized system here so I can't really say yet what we'll be wanting to do.

We'll be anxious to hear what you think about this.

21573 Distribution
Jean Iseli,

Feedback Mechanism

(J21573) 23-JAN-74 09:12; Title: Author(s): Susan R. Lee/SRL;
Distribution: /JI; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: SRL;

journal problem at RADC

21-JAN-74 12:12:14,483

Date: 21-JAN-74 1212-PDT
From: STONE
Re: Journal submission problems

While using the IMLAC and trying to send a journal message, I have problems when I get to the Distribution part. The first character of an ident gives me an error message which says "UASQD Failed in LITTY". We recently received a new IMLAC program from you guys...could this be the problem?? When its fixed I have some feedback information for you. Too lazy to retype it now. -----
21-JAN-74

21574 Distribution
James H. Bair,

Journal problem at RADC

(J21574) 23-JAN-74 10:02; Title: Author(s): Susan R. Lee/SRL;
Distribution: /JHB(fyi); Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: SRL;

mouse problem at radc

07:57:50,433

Date: 22-JAN-74 0757-PDT
From: STONE
Re: Mouse Button Problems
cc: hopper
- - - -

when in the insert character/text/etc mode, I get the message
"undefined input" if I hit the left button to backspace character or
the left 2 buttons to backspace visible. If I use control H or
control W from the keyboard, it works OK. I have not loaded the most
recent release of the IMLAC program. Would this fix it? -----
22-JAN-74

21575 Distribution
James H. Bair,

SRL 23-JAN-74 10:06 21575

mouse problem at radc

(J21575) 23-JAN-74 10:06; Title: Author(s): Susan R. Lee/SRL;
Distribution: /JHB(fyi); Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: SRL;

Final comments and request

Already sent this to everyone else. Muultics said "Load control group full" and refused...

1

I am moving LP11 back to fiscal 74 position, as per Jerry's request. It seems minor enough not to quibble about.

2

I have suggested to Mike that he should get TWO new people, rather than one, since we will lose John Day (to work on File Directory). We'll see what Mike has to say.

3

Tom and Ken -- Please send comments/approval for report. I'd like to get it off my queue, and Craig and Steve need it for some decision-making. Dave.

4

5

DHC 23-JAN-74 12:25 21578

Final comments and request

- - - -

(J21578) 23-JAN-74 12:25; Title: Author(s): David H. Crocker/DHC ;
Distribution: /KTP ; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: DHC;

CALENDAR LIVES, DOES TURTORIAL?

DEAN, I HAVE SEEN (CALENDAR) WITH BRANCHES NAMED FOR DAYS AND SHOWN
IT TO PAM AND EILEIN. LOOKS GOOD. THEY UNDERSTAND THAT THEY CAN GET
IT WITH A LINK FROM ANYWHERE IN NLS.
WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE "NLSTUTORIALS" ON THE 29TH? AM I SUPOSED TO DO
ANYTHING?

1

DVN 23-JAN-74 12:26 21579

CALENDAR LIVES, DOES TURTORIAL?

(J21579) 23-JAN-74 12:26; Title: Author(s): Dirk H. Van
Nouhuys/DVN; Distribution: /NDM JCN(FYI); Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC;
Clerk: DVN;

Comments on Dave Walden's msg

This is response to journal item 21547. Dave Walden's notes to the Service Definition Committee.

I will make comments about each statement as they are numbered in the text that DC received from DW.

Before I get fully into the comments I would like to ask one question. Are we defining the Service Host in an idealistic sense or a realistic one?

I think that if we are to be imposing things on network servers, that we should strive to be a little lenient.

I think we should establish a position for ourselves to help the servers on the net realize that there is a large network community of users and that the server's goal should be to provide the best possible services to this community.

1. This would be nice. Does ARPA pay for operators? If not, this should be server option.

2. Sounds good.

3. Absolutely...a must.

4. This statement is rather iffy. Maybe a standard could be set for reasonable command/feedback time.

5. If the system is accessible from the network, there should be an operator on duty.

6. Should have been done long ago.

7. Another absolute necessity.

8. Idealistic..would be nice if the server can do it.

9. This sounds like it would defeat the heterogeneity of the network. It would be nice to have similar machines running the latest supervisors, etc. Servers should try to minimize trivial differences between systems. By all means, protocols should make machines alike to the user. Three cheers for the Network Virtual Machine.

10. Another good idea but a hard pill to swallow. If ARPA owns the machines it would be nice to implement it. One has to remember though that many machines support local users far in excess of the

Comments on Dave Walden's msg

number of network users. Also the local people have to be answered face to face, therefore get superior treatment to network users.

15

Ken,

I tried to send you a message as Pogram.CompNet@MIT-MULTICS and it was "not deliverable" because the mailer could not locate a mailbox for that username ?? What's wrong??

Anyway, the NIC # is 21530 and the corresponding RFC # is 614.

Better luck with it this time

Marcia

MLK 23-JAN-74 14:09 21581

(J21581) 23-JAN-74 14:09; Title: Author(s): Marcia Lynn Keeney/MLK;
Distribution: /KTP; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: MLK;

This is from Marcia Keeney

Allen,

I tried to send you a message at NEWELL@CMU-10A and I don't think it went through. Any ideas why this went wrong? I did indeed get your message . You can also send messages to KEENEY@SRI-ARC.

Please get in touch if you have any more questions and/or corrections to the directory.

Regards,

re some misplaced updates

Someone at FNWC very kindly bundled up the TIP users' guide updates which were missent by BBN to there and sent them along to SDAC, for which many thanks. Buz Owen

1

ADO 23-JAN-74 15:11 21583

re some misplaced updates

(J21583) 23-JAN-74 15:11; Title: Author(s): A. D. (Buz) Owen/ADO;
Distribution: /FAM MHR; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: ADO;

About that MST Characteristics Document You Got

I sent out to most people a copy of some general characteristics that ARPA is thinking about for the MST for your information. we will be writing a new proposal to ARPA shortly that needs to specifically address our desired role in this program.

1

RWW 23-JAN-74 16:45 21584

About that MST Characteristics Document You Got

(J21584) 23-JAN-74 16:45; Title: Author(s): Richard W. Watson/RWW;
Distribution: /SRI-ARC; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC SRI-ARC; Clerk: RWW;

JHB 23-JAN-74 16:56 21535

Announcemnt of Transfer to the Utility for Bell and RADC

immediate attention

Announcemnt of Transfer to the Utility for Bell and RADC

ANNOUNCEMENT: TRANSFER OF USERS TO THE UTILITY, OFFICE-1.

OFFICE-1 is now ready to accept users. We have completed a 6 day trial period with better than the required 90% up-time.

You may begin using the new system on:

FRIDAY JANUARY 25 at 8 AM EDT

by logging into:

HOST 43 on the Network
(using the same directory and password)

The entire contents of all directories will be transferred to Office-1 the evening of Thursday, 24 Jan. by Utility staff. Thus, all your work will exist at Office-1 as you left it Thurs. afternoon. PLEASE LEAVE ALL FILES UPDATED

Your directory name will be retained at ARC (host 2) for the time being so that you may continue to receive messages at that host from users who are not aware of the change.

HOWEVER, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DO ANY WRK AT ARC after Thursday evening.

Effect on Send Message: Your new Network sndmsg address for users from OTHER hosts will be YOURNAME@@OFFICE-1 (type 2 @s to get through the TIP). You may sndmsg to ARC personnel by entering THEIRNAME@@SRI-ARC.

Effect on the Journal: The Journal will continue to operate as if there were one system. This will be done by running duplicate Journal Systems at each host. The systems will update each other daily. There will be no change in the way Journal items are sent or in the distribution, cataloging, etc. of them.

RADC and Bell Canada are the first groups to use OFFICE-1, ARC's first experiment in offering NLS as a subscription service. There probably will be bugs involved with bringing up a new system, so please bear with us. Thank you for your patience and welcome.

PROBLEMS AND COMMENTS:

Operational problems: Link to (Martinez or Blum) or call the operator at Tymshare, Inc. ((408) 257-6550, ask for operations -- have them page the computer operator). They will be responsible for restoring files, crashes, and other computer operator kinds of problems.

Announcemnt of Transfer to the Utility for Bell and RADC

Send all other comments or problems to the Feedback directory at OFFICE-1. SNDMSG (for immediate action) to FEEDBACK; Journal (for most problems/comments) to the ident FEED. This will be reviewed daily, and your messages answered.

1h2

JHB 23-JAN-74 16:56 21585

Announcemnt of Transfer to the Utility for Bell and RADC

(J21585) 23-JAN-74 16:56; Title: Author(s): James H. Bair/JHB;
Distribution: /JCN WRF JDH DCE RWW MDK BELL-CANADA RADC;
Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC BELL-CANADA RADC; Clerk: JHB;