

## Netref

The main use I see, for Netref, is for quick reference, for relatively experienced users. It would contain no (or very little) descriptive material -- more on the order of the type of info given by <esc> and "?" on Tenex (a bit more verbose). I'd like to be able to have a portable terminal and Netref and not need anything else to do work (assuming I had read the conceptual material previously).

1

Conceivably, Netref would merely be a catalogue, if sites produced adequate documentation. I like the idea of COLLECTING it in one place (document), though. For one thing, it is then possible to keep ONE distribution list (rather than one per site) and easier for a new person to get a complete set of documentation.

2

If we could get the material online, we could have a program collect the updates. That is why our defining a format would be so helpful. Probably, we should define a set of acceptable formats, off of current ones, to keep from requiring (and therefore not getting) heavy changes.

3

The New Users packet seems to me to be more general and introductory. If anything, we are talking about an Old Users Packet.

3a

Sorry to hear you have been sick. Hope it's all better now....by the way, looks like the Great Sigma Power-down will be the 28th. (There is talk of getting 2001's Hal saying goodbye to Dave (but that is not public info). Dave.

3b

20657 Distribution  
Nancy J. Neigus,

Netref

(J20657) 30-NOV-73 17:31; Title: Author(s): David H. Crocker/DHC;  
Distribution: /NJN; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: DHC;

## Sysgd and Proclist

Deann --thanks for the comments and info (and other good things).  
I'll try the file manipulation in a while.

1

I would like a copy of my index program's output of Sysgd. I didn't  
do it myself as per your request on OP use.

2

Procs without comments are carefully deleted, since it is assumed  
that the user won't know what the proc is for, unless there are  
comments to explain.

3

I.E., my index assumes a fairly naive user, rather than (as sysgd  
assumes) a fairly knowledgeable one. (Think about what the user  
has to index on).

3a

I think that both indices are needed, but for different uses.  
Keeping my Proclist pgm around makes updating easy (could even be  
the tailend of your Sysgd-generating pgm.

3b

Dave.

3b1



20658 Distribution  
N. Dean Meyer,

Sysgd and Proclis

(J20658) 30-NOV-73 17:39; Title: Author(s): David H. Crocker/DHC;  
Distribution: /NDM; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: DHC;

Newsletter Group

Jean -- dince since there is a fiar amount of mail being generating concerning the Newsletter, and there are a fair number of people involved, it might be convenient to create a NEWS (or somesuch) group. Would make note passing simpler.

Dave.

1

20659 Distribution  
Jean Iseli,

Newsletter Group

(J20659) 30-NOV-73 17:44; Title: Author(s): David H. Crocker/DHC;  
Distribution: /JI; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: DHC;



Jean - I just perused the beginning of the December Arpanetnews.  
Suggest you change the participants list to read

the womenof the nic ... rather than the girls of the nic.

Unless they like chauvenism. Dave.

1

20660 Distribution  
Jean Iseli,

(J20660) 30-NOV-73 17:51; Title: Author(s): David H. Crocker/DHC;  
Distribution: /JI; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: DHC;

A new NLS

Hello, the new NLS (RNLS) is up. Just trying out the journal.

1

20661 Distribution

Charles H. Irby, Donald C. (Smokey) Wallace, Diana S. Kaye, Elizabeth  
K. Michael,



A new NLS

(J20661) 1-DEC-73 00:08; Title: Author(s): J. D. Hopper/JDH;  
Distribution: /CHI DCW DSK EKM; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: JDH;

Proposal for Research No. ISU-73-5  
(revision to 31 MAR 73 Document No. 14946)

Proposal for Research No. ISU-73-5  
(revision to 31 MAR 73 Document No. 14946)

This version was issued in Hardcopy as 19862

Proposal for Research No. ISU-73-5  
(revision to 31 MAR 73 Document No. 14946)

Cost Estimate:

Proposal for Research No. ISU-73-5  
 (revision to 31 MAR 73 Document No. 14946)

COST ESTIMATE FOR FIRST YEAR WORKSHOP UTILITY SERVICE  
 (total facility)

Personnel Costs

Senior Prof	4087 hrs.	
Prof	4799 hrs.	
Clerical	1600 hrs.	
Total Direct Labor		\$ 84,246
Payroll Burden @ 26%		21,904
Total Labor and Burden		106,150
Overhead @ 105%		111,458
Total Personnel Costs		217,608

Direct Costs

Travel		14,160
30 trips East @ \$318 =	\$ 9,540	
120 Days Subsistence @ \$31 =	3,720	
Auto Rental 60 days @ \$15 =	900	
Communications		3,000
Materials and Supplies (tape, paper)		1,500
Utility Computer Support Subcontract		535,080
Documentation Costs		4,648
Total Direct Costs		558,388
Total Estimated Cost		775,996
Fixed Fee		46,560
Total Estimated Cost Plus Fixed Fee	\$ 322,556	
ARPA CONTRACT SHARE: 60% =	\$ 493,534	

These costs are further explained in the Schedules that follow.



Proposal for Research No. ISU-73-5  
(revision to 31 MAR 73 Document No. 14946)

Cost Schedules:

Proposal for Research No. ISU-73-5  
(revision to 31 MAR 73 Document No. 14946)

#### SCHEDULE A

##### DIRECT LABOR

Direct labor charges are based on the actual salaries for the staff members contemplated for the project work plus a judgmental factor applied to base salary for merit increases during the contract period of performance. Frequency of salary reviews and level of merit increases are in accordance with the Institute's Salary and Wage Payment Policy as published in Topic No. 505 of the SRI Administration Manual and as approved by the Defense Contract Administration Services Region.

#### SCHEDULE B

##### OVERHEAD AND PAYROLL BURDEN

Based on projected 1973 budget data, higher overhead and payroll burden rates were formerly negotiated. However, these have been adjusted downward (with the concurrence of the Resident Government Auditor) to reflect more favorable cost experience through the first six accounting periods.

Rather than setting forth these specific rates, it is requested that contracts provide for reimbursement at billing rates acceptable to the Contracting Officer subject to retroactive adjustment to fixed rates negotiated on the basis of historical cost data. Included in payroll burden are such costs as vacation, holiday, and sick leave pay, social security taxes, and contributions to employee benefit plans.

Proposal for Research No. ISU-73-5  
 (revision to 31 MAR 73 Document No. 14946)

SCHEDULE C

TRAVEL COSTS

Air fare is based on prices for travel to Washington, D.C., at \$318 round-trip tourist established in the Official Airline Guide dated 1 October 1973.

Domestic subsistence rates and travel by private automobile are established standards based on cost data submitted to and approved by DCAA.

SCHEDULE D

DOCUMENTATION COSTS

Report costs are estimated on the basis of the number of pages of text and illustrations and the number of copies of reports to be produced, in accordance with the following rates per page which have been reviewed by DCAA:

The following is a breakdown of the estimated cost of report production:

Printing, 507 pages at \$ 6.06 per page =	\$ 3,072
(including editing, composition, report coordination, proofreading)	
Press and bindery at \$ .021 per printed page =	1,176
(for 180 printed pages - 200 copies, and 200 printed pages - 100 copies)	
Mailing Costs =	400
Total Estimated Documentation Costs	4,648

Proposal for Research No. ISU-73-5  
(revision to 31 MAR 73 Document No. 14946)

SCHEDULE E

UTILITY COMPUTER SUPPORT SUBCONTRACT COSTS

See previously furnished (to ARPA) subcontract bid by  
Tymshare, Inc., Cupertino, California, dated 12 October  
1972, updated 24 October 1973.

Proposal for Research No. ISU-73-5  
(revision to 31 MAR 73 Document No. 14946)

(J20662) 1-DEC-73 07:54; Title: Author(s): Stanford Research  
Institute /ESRI-ARC ; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: JCN ;  
Origin: <NORTON>UTILARPACOSTS.NLS;1, 1-NOV-73 07:44 JCN ;



## A Name For The Workshop Utility: KWCS1

After considering several alternative names for the Workshop Utility PDP-10 computer facility to be operated by TYMSHARE, we have chosen "KWCS1" as the facility designation to be used in the TENEX herald message and in documentation relating to the initial Workshop Utility Service computer facility.

1

KWCS1 stands for "Knowledge Workshop Computer Service Number One", implying extension to numbers two, three, etc. as the service expands to additional machines.

1a

The term KWCS1 may well cause some users to ask themselves (or us) "but what does it stand for?". We feel that this question will aid us (a bit) in getting the "knowledge workshop" concept across to our users.

1b

If one HAS to say KWCS1, it might sound like "quicks one" (?), although most people will probably refer to the service as "the workshop", the "utility" or such, rather than KWCS1.

1c

We assume that the TIP will be named: TYMSHARE-TIP.

2

20663 Distribution

1

Donald C. (Smokey) Wallace, Richard W. Watson, Don I. Andrews,  
Michael L. Marrah, A. Jim Blum, Duane L. Stone, Lawrence H. Day,  
Michael T. Bedford, Connie K. McLindon, John S. Parry, Robert N.  
Lieberman,

1a

James H. Bair, A. Jim Blum, Meredith (Reddy) E. Dively, Jeanne M.  
Leavitt, Rodney A. Bondurant, Jeanne M. Beck, Mark Alexander Beach,  
Judy D. Cooke, Marcia Lynn Keeney, Carol B. Guilbault, Susan R. Lee,  
Elizabeth K. Michael, Charles F. Dornbush, Elizabeth J. (Jake)  
Feinler, Kirk E. Kelley, N. Dean Meyer, James E. (Jim) White, Diane  
S. Kaye, Paul Rech, Michael D. Kudlick, Ferg R. Ferguson, Douglas C.  
Engelbart, Beauregard A. Hardeman, Martin E. Hardy, J. D. Hopper,  
Charles H. Irby, Mil E. Jernigan, Harvey G. Lehtnan, Jeanne B. North,  
James C. Norton, Jeffrey C. Peters, Jake Ratliff, Edwin K. Van De  
Riet, Dirk H. Van Nouhuys, Kenneth E. (Ken) Victor

1b

A Name For The Workshop Utility: KWCS1

(J20663) 1-DEC-73 08:03; Title: Author(s): James C. Norton/JCN ;  
Distribution: /SRI-ARC MLM JIMB DLS LHD MIKE CKM JSP RLL ;  
Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: JCN ;

Change of address: JJ Regan

I received a letter from Lee Norton, of the Navy Personnel Research and Development Center in San Diego. She is secretary to Dr. James J. Regan, and requests that Dr. Regan's mailing address be changed to read as follows:

Dr. James J. Regan  
Technical Director  
Navy Personnel Research and Development Center  
San Diego, California 92152

It used to be Naval Training Equipment Center, Orlando, Florida. I assume you are in a better position to pass this on to whoever it should go to than I. Thanks. Don't know why they sent it to "Dr. N. Dean Meyer" See you soon. --Dean

20664 Distribution  
James C. Norton,

1  
1a



Change of address: JJ Regan

(J20664) 1-DEC-73 13:56; Title: Author(s): N. Dean Meyer/NDM;  
Distribution: /JCN; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: NDM;

After reading (20637, ), I assume you will be using the User Program  
INMES. Let me know if you have any problems. --Dean

1

20665 Distribution  
Susan R. Lee,

1  
1a

(J20665) 1-DEC-73 14:04; Title: Author(s): N. Dean Meyer/NDM;  
Distribution: /SRL; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: NDM;

Note

Mike,

I made it back in one piece. Sharon met me and whisked me off to the Spinners and Weavers Guild show. As usual they had some very very beautiful stuff.

But to more mundane things. I forgot to ask you for details on what a slot on the new utility provides to the in terms of disk space, cpu time, etc. We (ANTS) are going to have and have quite a bit of on-line documentation. I personally wouldnt mind seeing a large portion of it at NIC for the obvious reasons of being able to view it thru NLS, etc. So I would like to know what a slot gets you and how much additional disk space is and all those sorts of things administrators talk about.

Once again I would like to thank you and Elaine for a most wonderful evening and hospitality. I think I have Sharon convinced to come out for the USING meeting.

John

1

1a

1b

1c

1d



20666 Distribution  
Michael D. Kudlick,

1  
1a

Note

(J20666) 1-DEC-73 15:35; Title: Author(s): John D. Day/DAY;  
Distribution: /MDK; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: DAY;  
Origin: <ILLINOIS>NOTETOMDK.NLS;1, 1-DEC-73 15:13 DAY ;

Request for Tnls Guide

Marcia,

Could you have the new TNLS users guide sent to me. I would prefer this technique since our locally printing facilities are less than adequate.

Thank you,  
John Day

20667 Distribution  
Marcia Lynn Keeney,

1  
1a

Request for Inls Guide

(J20667) 1-DEC-73 15:39; Title: Author(s): John D. Day/DAY;  
Distribution: /MLK; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: DAY;



Dialog with KTP

Response to Pogran

Ken, the enclosed is a copy of the index I promised to send; in NLS, to see and of them, simply type to the prompt "\*", (##,) and then after it finds it, will type the first part, and a <LF> will print subsequent parts; if you want to print back up, use, ↑. Hope you find these interesting and continue your interest and response to user needs especially relative to improving NLS from a netusers point of view. Looking forward to more dialog...take care ken,.....Jean

	1
(dialog)	1a
(nls)	1a1
20028 3 Nov 73 G[oto] M[eta] N[ls]	1a1a
Answered RWW 5 Nov 73 (20053)	1a1a1
Answered JCN 3 Nov 73 (20031)	1a1a2
20429 21 Nov 73 Response to NDM's (20417)	1a1b
20027 2 Nov 73 O[utput] N[ls] : #20009:#20025	1a1c
Answered NDM 20 Nov 73 (20417)	1a1c1
Answered DVN 5 Nov 73 (20047)	1a1c2
Answered MDK 5 Nov (20054)	1a1c3
(user-progs)	1a2
20009 2 Nov 73 OP Suggestions : User-prog subsystem	1a2a
(journal)	1a3
20440 21 Nov 73 Linking in Journal	1a3a
20156 10 Nov 73 Group Creation	1a3b
20124 9 Nov 73 Journal Submission Category Tractability	1a3c
19784 19 Oct 73 Automatic Prompting	1a3d
Answered by JCN : Will be done.	1a3d1
(general)	1a4

Dialog with KTP

19771	19 Oct 73	NLS Collaboration : Suggestion Response	1a4a
		(file-compatibility)	1a5
20036	4 Nov 73	NLS/Extra-NLS File Compatibility [Suggestion]	1a5a
		Answered RWW 7 Nov 73 (20090) - Agreement for help on Structured File Transfer Protocol Development	1a5a1
19985	31 Oct 73	TENEX File : NLS : Compatibility : EIS[pure]	1a5b
19972	30 Oct 73	TENEX/NLS Compatibility	1a5c
		Answered by NDM : Dialog may be initiated	1a5c1
19908	30 Oct 73	Query Restriction : mini-suggestion	1a5d
19885	28 Oct 73	Parameterized File Conversion	1a5e
		(mail)	1a6
20038	4 Nov 73	Journal Distribution Groups	1a6a
20037	4 Nov 73	Initial File Journal Item Indexing	1a6b
19786	19 Oct 73	Mail Forwarding : Indexing in NLS	1a6c
19784	19 Oct 73	Linked Text Forwarding	1a6d
		(ident-system)	1a7
19738	17 Oct 73	Network Participants	1a7a
		(op)	1a8
20042	4 Nov 73	Output Processor Cue Card	1a8a
		Answered JBN 8 Nov 73 (20098)	1a8a1
		Answered DVN 7 Nov 73 (20094) - NDM will do	1a8a2
		Answered JHB 7 Nov 73 (20093)	1a8a3
		Answered DHC 5 Nov 73 (20056)	1a8a4

20668 Distribution

Kenneth T. Pogran, Jonathan B. Postel,

Dialog with KTP

(J20668) 2-DEC-73 07:29; Title: Author(s): Jean Iseli/JI;  
Distribution: /KTP JBP; Keywords: nls-netuser-improvements;  
Sub-Collections: NIC SRI-ARC; Clerk: JI;



Suggested NLS/NIC Query enhancements [ADO suggestion]

Buz: Your recent suggestions concerning ↑R and ↑W are well taken, I would very much invite you to initiate a dialog through the Journal relative to netuser point-of-view improvements that should be considered both for NLS and for NIC Query. We have begun doing this and title them NLS Suggestions, or whatever, and circulate them to the following distribution list: RWW, JCN, CHI, MDK, DCEHGL, [and if you like, buz, we are interested; ie: Ident=I]. If you would like a list of links to some of the suggestions we have made, please let me know and I can send you the list [index.] Also, some others that we have been considering include the use of <ESC> in both NLS and NIC Query to unambiguously specify files easily [this type of human engineering consistency with TENEX I believe is needed], another is the use of ↑O in reading your journal mail - I find that two ↑O's stops the current item and allows reading of the next and that three ↑O's does finally stop printing Journal Mail.....Somehoe, one would think that one ↑O should stop it.

I think the kind of interest you express Buz, if directed through a Journal Dialog to the list above mentioned, would be another positive step towards ensuing NLS and NIC Query evolution in the interests of the greater network community of users, both sophisticated and otherwise relative to network usage.

Thanks Buz.....please let me know what you decide,.....Jean

1



20669 Distribution

A. D. (Buz) Owen, Kenneth T. Pogran, Al J. Rosenfeld, David M. Grothe, John D. Day, Alan R. Hill, Clayton A. Grear, Jean Iseli, Jim J. Calvin, Mil E. Jernigan,

Suggested NLS/NIC Query enhancements [ADO suggestion]

(J20669) 2-DEC-73 07:46; Title: Author(s): Jean Iseli/JI;  
Distribution: /ADO KTP I; Keywords:  
nic-query-journal-dialog-enhancements; Sub-Collections: NIC SRI-ARC  
MITRE-TIP I; Clerk: JI;

Re (,20650)--Names in the HELP syntax branch

Good idea, let's consider it when we go through HELP to build links and change names when necessary, ok?.....by the way, we should be making plans for that project--like when to get together, etc.  
--Jeanne

1

20670 Distribution  
Kirk E. Kelley,

Re (,20650)--Names in the HELP syntax branch

(J20670) 2-DEC-73 12:18; Title: Author(s): Jeanne M. Beck/JMB;  
Distribution: /KIRK; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: JMB;



DL02 Problem rec, Journal Mail

Marsha, Would you check into this please? Thanks, Jim

DLD2 Problem rec, Journal Mail

DLD2 30-NOV-73 06:54 20646

DAUGHTRY's Directory....RADC

Message: Jim I talked to you here earlier about my initials file. The problem is two-fold. First, I lost all the information in Bethke's old file and I need it for guidance in some work I was doing (I refer to bethke's initials file)...Secondly, since creation of the directory in my name I have not recieved any JOURNAK mail at all. AKW experts here think that I may not be in the RADC group. Please fix the two problems for me as soon as you can. Thanks ... Dave Daughtry

20671 Distribution

Marcia Lynn Keeney, Dirk H. Van Nouhuys, David L. Daughtry,

DLD2 Problem rec, Journal Mail

(J20671) 2-DEC-73 16:15; Title: Author(s): James H. Bair/JHB;  
Distribution: /MLK DVN DLD2; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: JHB;

UK Problems with Sendprint

Re: "Problems with SENDPRINT" Stephen R. Wilbur/SRW; UK-ICS  
(IJOURNAL, 20594,)

Snokey: This seems to be a problem on the programming level.  
Realizing that Sendprint is a tentative program at best, could we  
still offer some help across the ocean until our new system comes up?  
Jim

1



20672 Distribution

Stephen R. Wilbur, Donald C. (Smokey) Wallace, James C. Norton, Kirk  
E. Kelley,

UK Problems with Sendprint

(J20672) 2-DEC-73 16:48; Title: Author(s): James H. Bair/JHB;  
Distribution: /SRW DCW JCN(info) KIRK; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk:  
JHB;

Goings on at BBN and SADPR

Jim, I noticed that you werent on the distribution for this, so in case you didnt get it some other way, here is the link and some of the questions it raised. I would like to go back ther and talk to them about training at some time,

Goings on at BBN and SADPR

DLS 29-NOV-73 10:25 20625  
Trip to SADPR, ESD  
Location: (IJOURNAL, 20625, 1:w)

1

NOTES: What Primer? ..What and when is anything going to be done  
with the Scholar teaching system? Expand the coverage to whom?  
(Should coordinate on policy)

1a

20673 Distribution

James C. Norton, Dirk H. Van Nouhuys, Nancy J. Neigus, Nancy J.  
Neigus,



Goings on at BBN and SADPR

(J20673) 2-DEC-73 17:28; Title: Author(s): James H. Bair/JHB;  
Distribution: /JCN DVN(info) NJN NJN(please send latest version primer);  
Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: JHB;

MESSAGE FROM UK RE DAVIS MCCARN.

MESSAGE FROM SYLVIA KENNEY, UKICS-TIP

HELLO, JEAN, PETER KIRSTEIN ASKED ME TO CONTACT YOU  
RE DAVIS MCCARN'S VISIT TO BRITISH MUSEUM.

I AM SORRY I WAS NOT ABLE TO MAIL THE TIPDIAL-UP NO.  
YOU REQUESTED, DUE TO NETWORK TROUBLE.

HOWEVER, I CONTACTED DR. HARVEY, WHO IS INVOLVED  
WITH MR. MCCARN'S VISIT AT THIS END, SO ALL WILLBE WELL.

I AM MAILING THIS THRU THE JOURNALAS I DO NOT KNOWWHERE  
YOU HAVE MAILING BOXES. COULD YOU PLEASEME A MESSAGE

AT ISI (KIRSTEIN ACC.) OR THRU JOURNAL SYSTEM(ID=SK)  
LISTING YOUR MAILBOXES IN CASE I NEED TO CONTACT YOU  
IN FUTURE? THANKS,BEST WISHES, SYLVIA KENNEY(LIAISON)

P.S. SORRY ABOUT BAD TYPING!

1

20674 Distribution  
Jean Iseli,

MESSAGE FROM UK RE DAVIS MCCARN.

(J20674) 3-DEC-73 04:35; Title: Author(s): Sylvia Kenney/SK;  
Distribution: /JI; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: SK;

WWMCCS status report (November 30, 1973)

#### WWMCCS OPERATING SYSTEM STUDY GROUP

The next WWMCCS operating system release that will be studied at the RADC facility will be release 4.0. This version of the WWMCCS O/S includes several enhancements such as the extended memory, new security features, the ANSI 68 COBOL compiler, and WWDMS B.2 corrections. The WWDMS of this release is to satisfy 315 of the 698 operational capabilities requirements.

The RADC/IS team that will attempt to load the operating system and other software on our H635 computer includes:

Trad, David	team leader
Walker, Robert	team co-leader
Wingfield, Michael	
Lamonica, Frank	
Robinson, Richard	

#### WWMCCS TASKS IN RADC/IS

A summary of on-going work in RADC/IS will be submitted at a later date.

#### AABNCP REMOTE TERMINAL SYSTEM STUDY

A general work plan has been given to IS (Al Barnum) for review. ISI personnel will prepare a more detailed work plan to use during the Remote Terminal Study. Also, the AABNCP SPO will be formally notified of our plan which calls for work to start in February 1974 and to complete in March 1975.



WWMCCS status report (November 30, 1973)

#### WWMCCS TRAINING

The training program to date is not fixed to include a scheduled program. The objective now is to have several engineers complete a series of Honeywell sponsored courses related to the GCOS software. The course include: 1) 601 Introduction to series 6000 (2 days), 2) 602 6000 Utilities and Job Control Language (3 days) 3) 605 General Macro Assembly Programming (10 days), 4) 607 Disk Management (4 days) 5) 620 System Software (5 days), 6) 630 GCOS analysis (10 days). The rest of the training involve the establishment of study teams to load and run the WWMCCS software and programs on the H635 computer. As shown above the teams will consist of fourr to five people from throughtout IS and will include at least two who have completed Honeywell course 630 (item 6).

The following individuals have completed the course series to course #630:

Walker, Robert

Kalynycz, John

Wingfield, Michael

Other individuals who have not completed the courses but are considered knowledgeable of the GCOS software include: Mclean, Liuzzi, Van Alstine, Trad, Robinson, Mark, and Falzarano.

20675 Distribution

Richard H. Thayer, Rocco F. Iuorno, Frank J. Tomaini,

WWMCCS status report (November 30, 1973)

(J20675) 3-DEC-73 05:38; Title: Author(s): David L. Daughtry/DLD2;  
Distribution: /RHT2 RFI FJT; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: DLD2;  
Origin: <DAUGHTRY>WWMCCS-STATUS.NLS;1, 30-NOV-73 08:00 DLD2 ;

ISI data base update (3 dec 73)

Donna hopefully we can begin using the guide that I prepared to update the datta base. If you have any problems then see me. We can agree that others can review some of the records if it appears that there are too many for ypou to handle alone. I'll be glad to help if needed. Otherwise,, I will assume that all is well. good luck....dave

1

20676 Distribution  
Donna R. Robilotta, Roger B. Panara,



ISI data base update (3 dec 73)

(J20676) 3-DEC-73 05:47; Title: Author(s): David L. Daughtry/DLD2;  
Distribution: /DRR2 RBP; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: DLD2;

NETREF, and sundry topics re USING mtg

Dave--

It sounds like okay reasons to me, but I still have some doubts about how many people would use this sort of thing. (I have had my doubts all along.) Many sites are proprietary about their documentation as well. But I guess we should at least bring it up at the meeting and get some more opinion on it.

Beginning list of topics for agenda: CCL, TAMAL, NETREF, documentation in general, progress report on New Users Packet. I'll get to it later this week and send you a pointer to what I have come up with.

By the way, Bob Thomas stopped in to see me the other day about the old issue of why there is no Tenex person in USING. I said I would remedy that if he told me who the person should be. He said to put him down; so would you please switch him (RHT) from USERS to USING. He should also be invited to the January meeting, though I have unofficially done that already. He said someone (meaning he or Paul Johnson) would probably come....but not definitely.

So we all carry on. See ya soon. Nancy

1

20677 Distribution  
David H. Crocker,

NETREF, and sundry topics re USING mtg

(J20677) 3-DEC-73 06:39; Title: Author(s): Nancy J. Neigus/NJN;  
Distribution: /DHC; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: NJN;

BBN Contacts for NLS-SCHOLAR

● Mario and Laura - the reference is (IJOURNAL, 20673, 1:w)



BBN Contacts for NLS-SCHOLAR

Jim--  
I'm not the appropriate contact at BBN for the NLS-SCHOLAR project.  
I suggest you get in touch with Mario Grignetti (ident = MGG) or  
Laura Gould (ident = LEG).  
Nancy

1

20678 Distribution

James H. Bair, Mario C. Grignetti, Laura E. Gould,

BBN Contacts for NLS-SCHOLAR

(J20678) 3-DEC-73 06:57; Title: Author(s): Nancy J. Neigus/NJN;  
Distribution: /JHB MCG LEG; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: NJN;

NEW TNLS USERS' GUIDE

PLEASE SEND US A COPY OF THE NEW TNLS USER'S GUIDE.

1

20679 Distribution  
Marcia Lynn Keeney,



NEW TNLS USERS' GUIDE

(J20679) 3-DEC-73 07:48; Title: Author(s): Laura E. Gould/LEG;  
Distribution: /MLK; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: LEG;

Utility Name suggestion

Jim, I think "U1" or "W1" would be a better and simpler name for the Utility computer. -- Charles.

1

20680 Distribution  
James C. Norton,

Utility Name suggestion

(J20680) 3-DEC-73 10:06; Title: Author(s): Charles H. Irby/CHI;  
Distribution: /JCN; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: CHI;

Updating SYNTAX, FUNCTION & EXAMPLE branches of HELP

Re SYNTAX, FUNCTION, & EXAMPLE branches of HELP (3-DEC-73):

1

SYNTAX branch is no longer frozen! It will be the first of the three branches to reflect the newest changes in the workings of commands (I'm reading the <NLS>SYNTAX every week & translating changes into our syntax). In some cases I will simultaneously correlate the branch under EXAMPLE & FUNCTION; if I do NOT check the other branches, I will still make notes of what is yet to be done in (userguides,changes,database:xbbmG).

1a

Note: Dean is finished with examples for Editor; I will update Editor examples; Kirk will do examples for Programs.

1b

--JMB

1c



20681 Distribution

Edwin K. Van De Riet, Susan R. Lee, Douglas C. Engelbart, James H. Bair, Elizabeth K. Michael, Richard W. Watson, Elizabeth J. (Jake) Feinler, Harvey G. Lehtman, Kirk E. Kelley, Laura E. Gould, N. Dean Meyer, Jeanne M. Beck, Charles F. Dornbush, Dirk H. Van Nouhuys, Michael D. Kudlick, James C. Norton,

Updating SYNTAX, FUNCTION & EXAMPLE branches of HELP

(J20681) 3-DEC-73 10:31; Title: Author(s): Jeanne M. Beck/JMB;  
Distribution: /DIRT; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC DIRT; Clerk: JMB;

Response to JCNs (20663,)

For the record, I think 'KWCS1' is a remarkably poor name for the Utility. Some comments and questions:

> Who is 'we' in 'we have chosen'?

> Is this to be the machine's Standard Host Name? Fortunately, its numeric host address will be more easily pronounced and remembered.

> I can't employ the term 'Knowledge Workshop' with a straight face. I resent having to use it as often as explaining the Utility's name will require.

> How about leaving room for expansion -- 'KWCS001'?

1

20682 Distribution

Donald C. (Smokey) Wallace, Richard W. Watson, Don I. Andrews,  
Michael L. Marrah, A. Jim Blum, Duane L. Stone, Lawrence H. Day,  
Michael T. Bedford, Connie K. McLindon, John S. Perry, Robert N.  
Lieberman,  
James H. Bair, A. Jim Blum, Meredith (Reddy) E. Dively, Jeanne M.  
Leavitt, Rodney A. Bondurant, Jeanne M. Beck, Mark Alexander Beach,  
Judy D. Cooke, Marcia Lynn Keeney, Carol B. Guilbault, Susan R. Lee,  
Elizabeth K. Michael, Charles F. Dornbush, Elizabeth J. (Jake)  
Feinler, Kirk E. Kelley, N. Dean Meyer, James E. (Jim) White, Diane  
S. Kaye, Paul Rech, Michael D. Kudlick, Ferg R. Ferguson, Douglas C.  
Engelbart, Beauregard A. Hardeman, Martin E. Hardy, J. D. Hopper,  
Charles H. Irby, Mil E. Jernigan, Harvey G. Lehtman, Jeanne B. North,  
James C. Norton, Jeffrey C. Peters, Jake Ratliff, Edwin K. Van De  
Riet, Dirk H. Van Nouhuys, Kenneth E. (Ken) Victor

Response to JCNs (20663,)

(J20682) 3-DEC-73 13:34; Title: Author(s): James E. (Jim)  
White/JEW; Distribution: /SRI-ARC MLM JIMB DLS LHD MIKE CKM JSP RLL;  
Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: JEW;



Rand Status

Donna

1

I have a few questions about the status of various people at your site.

2

Awhile ago someone at your site sent Jake Feinler (the resource notebook person here) the latest Rand site write-up. It contained some information contradictory to things we have on record here.

3

Your list has Lynne van Driest as Station Agent -- has she replaced Jacquie Priest??

4

Your own ident is listed on the Rand write-up as DRC -- it is really DRC2 -- this is important as people may send a journal message to the wrong person if the wrong ident is listed.

5

The ident for Bill Myers is listed on the write-up as WPM -- he's known as BPM in our system.

6

Similarly, Bob Rapp is listed in the write-up as RRR. In our system he is RAPP.

7

So, let me know about the status of Jacquie . It would be a good idea to update the write-up to include the correct idents which I have listed above.

8

Please let me know if you have any staff changes, as I'm responsible for maintaining an up-to-date directory of network participants.

9

Thanks,

10

Marcia

11

20683 Distribution  
Donna R. Cooper, Marcia Lynn Keeney,

Rand Status

(J20683) 3-DEC-73 14:09; Title: Author(s): Marcia Lynn Keeney/MLK;  
Distribution: /DRC2 MLK; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: MLK;  
Origin: <KEENEY>RAND.NLS;2, 3-DEC-73 14:05 MLK ;

coordination: nlm/mitre-tip/ul-ics

Sylvia: Thank you for your response. I had also left Davis the telephone number there in case we did not receive a response in time. You may direct sendmsg mail to me to any of the following network addresses: ISELI@ISI, HELP@NIC, and POH@CASE-10. Also, POH@BBN works, but this account is employed less frequently. Thank you for your help, ...Jean

1

20684 Distribution  
Sylvia Kenney,



coordination: nlm/mitre-tip/ul-ics

(J20684) 3-DEC-73 14:13; Title: Author(s): Jean Iseli/JI;  
Distribution: /SK; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: JI;

OP bug

The enclosed statement, when run thru the OP, causes a printout of...gton, D(AC 202... Clearly the wrong thing.

OP bug

5031 V Street, N.W.  
Washington, D(AC 202) 333-6573

20685 Distribution

Egs Bugs, Diane S. Kaye, Harvey G. Lehtman, Charles H. Irby, N. Dean Meyer,

OP bug

(J20685) 3-DEC-73 14:42; Title: Author(s): David H. Crocker/DHC;  
Distribution: /BUGS NDM; Sub-Collections: NIC BUGS; Clerk: LYNN;



NIC message

Dear Mr. Maras,  
We have recently discovered that our mailings to your site have exceeded the number permitted. Through an oversight on our part we have continued your weekly mailing as an Associate while adding two new mailings to Norsar's newly appointed Liason (P. Tveitane) and Station Agent (O.A. Hansen).

1

Since we are allowed to send only two mailings to each network Site, we must ask one of your recipients to discontinue his mailing. Since Norsar has graduated from Associate to full Site status, we thought it most logical to ask you if you would mind discontinuing your weekly mailing from us.

2

We are sorry for the mix-up. Let us know whether the above solution is amenable.

3

Thank you,  
Judy Cooke

3a

NIC message

(J20686) 3-DEC-73 14:50; Title: Author(s): Marcia Lynn Keeney/MLK;  
Distribution: /NM; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: MLK;  
Origin: <KEENEY>MARAS-MESSAGE.NLS;1, 3-DEC-73 14:14 MLK ;

20686 Distribution  
Nils Maras,

Reply

John ... I've checked briefly with Jim Bair at ARC about the mechanisms for distributing the resources of the new Utility among the "slots". One slot costs \$40,000 for one year, and entails a continual (i.e., 16-hour-per-day) login privilege for one user at a time, along with roughly one-twentieth of the system's resources at all times.

1

Distribution of the other resources, such as

2

number of directories,  
 number of idents,  
 number of disk pages per directory,  
 amount of CPU time,  
 extent of Journal, Output Processor, and other Subsystem usage,  
 etc.,

2a

remains flexible, which I think at the present means "negotiable, depending on need". To get a better answer than what I'm able to give you, John, I suggest that you pose your questions directly either to Jim Bair or to his manager, Jim Norton ( I am not directly concerned with the Utility at this time ):

3

Jim Norton (JCN) NORTON@SRI-ARC  
 Jim Bair (JHB) BAIR@SRI-ARC

3a

PS: One point that I think you missed: The Utility will have a duplicate of the NLS software that is currently at the NIC. The Utility's software will be updated every few months to reflect advances and changes to NLS made at ARC.

4

PPS: Was really good to see you again. Thanks for the reference to 30 Nov Science article on environment and econ. ... Elaine and I enjoyed very much our evening together; glad you did too. And very glad Sharon is coming to USING. Bring raincoats. January's wet here.

5

... Mike

6

20687 Distribution  
John D. Day, James H. Bair,



Reply

(J20687) 3-DEC-73 15:18; Title: Author(s): Michael D. Kudlick/MDK;  
Distribution: /DAY JHB( A copy of what I sent to John Day at Ill-ANTS  
project); Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: MDK;  
Origin: <KUDLICK>JDAY.NLS;3, 3-DEC-73 15:16 MDK ;

Case-10 Mailing list update

Yes, I'm the person who should know about personnel changes at your site. You said that you had updated the journal master file -- do you mean the identfile?? Let me know what the changes are and I'll make them on this end.

1

Regards,

2

Marcia

3

20688 Distribution  
Jim O. Calvin,

Case-10 Mailing list update

(J20688) 3-DEC-73 16:29; Title: Author(s): Marcia Lynn Keeney/MLK;  
Distribution: /JOC; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: MLK;  
Origin: <COOKE>JOC.NLS;2, 3-DEC-73 16:27 JDC ;

DLD2 Problem

Jim,  
Dave Daughtry IS in the RADC-TIP group@already. Better check with  
Jeff on this problem.  
Marcia

1



20689 Distribution  
James H. Bair,

DLD2 Problem

(J20689) 3-DEC-73 16:34; Title: Author(s): Marcia Lynn Keeney/MLK;  
Distribution: /JHB; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: MLK;

## Hostname information

I am about to put out a list of hostnames and related information.	1
Could you verify or complete the following information for me at your earliest convenience so that I can include it in the list?	2
(UKICS-360)?	2a
(WHERE)	2a1
University of London	2a1a
Computation Center	2a1b
44 Gordon Square	2a1c
London, W.C.1 ENGLAND	2a1d
(IMP-HOST-NO.) 42/0	2a2
(HOST-ADDR) 42	2a3
(SITE-STATUS) SERVER	2a4
(DATE-UP) Up now	2a5
(CONTACT) ?	2a6
(COMPUTER) PDP-9 to an IBM 360/195	2a7
(OPERATING-SYSTEM) ?	2a8
(COMMENTS) !What will primary function be?!	2a9
(UKICS-?)	2b
(WHERE)	2b1
University of London	2b1a
Institute of Computer Science	2b1b
44 Gordon Square	2b1c
London, W.C.1	2b1d
England	2b1e
(IMP-HOST-NO.) 42/1	2b2

## Hostname information

(HOST-ADDR) 106	2b3
(SITE-STATUS)	2b4
(DATE-UP) ?	2b5
(CONTACT) ?	2b6
(COMPUTER) ?	2b7
(OPERATING-SYSTEM) ?	2b8
(COMMENTS)	2b9
(UKICS-TIP)	2c
(WHERE)	2c1
University of London	2c1a
Institute of Computer science	2c1b
44 Gordon Square	2c1c
London, W.C.1	2c1d
England	2c1e
(IMP-HOST-NO.) 42/2	2c2
(HOST-ADDR) 170	2c3
(SITE-STATUS) TIP	2c4
(DATE-UP) Up now	2c5
(CONTACT)	2c6
Adrian V. Stokes (Liaison) 01 387-3421 ext 360	2c6a
(COMMENTS)	2c7

Are there any other hosts planned for your IMP? If so, please include similar data for any I have missed. Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

JAKE

20690 Distribution  
Peter Kirstein,



Hostname information

(J20690) 3-DEC-73 18:57; Title: Author(s): Elizabeth J. (Jake)  
Feinler/JAKE; Distribution: /PK; Sub-Collections: SRI-ARC; Clerk: JAKE;  
Origin: <FEINLER>UKICS-NOTE.NLS;2, 3-DEC-73 18:48 JAKE ;

Marcia,

Yes i did mean the ident file, sorry. At any rate, AJR (Al Rosenfeld)

is now our coordinator, JPB (John Barden) is the station agent, and JOC (jim calvin) is the liasion. If there is any further information i can give you please let me know.

thanks,  
jim calvin

20691 Distribution  
Marcia Lynn Keeney,

(J20691) 3-DEC-73 21:01; Title: Author(s): Jim O. Calvin/JOC;  
Distribution: /MLK; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: JOC;

more about utilities

Mike,

I hate to keep bugging you but I still dont really understand what \$40,000 buys you. One twientieth of what? And what happens if we lay 4,000,000 bytes of documents on the system? Will the Utility cover distribution, printing, etc.? The point being that most places (those other than ARPA ) are generally much more careful about their money. We really do need much more detailed information.

John

1



20692 Distribution  
Michael D. Kudlick,

more about utilities

(J20692) 3-DEC-73 21:25; Title: Author(s): John D. Day/DAY;  
Distribution: /MDK; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: DAY;  
Origin: <ILLINOIS>NOTETOMDK.NLS;1, 3-DEC-73 21:18 DAY ;

ARPANET News Article

Jean:

My sincerest apologies. I have not been able to do work on the ARPANET News article again until this morning. I was immensely busy last week and SRI was down or the net was down whenever I tried to get on with it. It looks now as if it will have to go into next month's issue, although I have got the majority of my thoughts down now. They still need tidying up, and Peter (K) would obviously like to see it first.

Peter is at present in the states. If I can get his comments tomorrow it should be finished by the weekend,

Cheers .. Steve

1

20693 Distribution  
Jean Iseli,

ARPANET News Article

(J20693) 4-DEC-73 01:22; Title: Author(s): Stephen R. Wilbur/SRW;  
Distribution: /JI; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: SRW;



ARPANET News Article

Steve:

No problem about how soon the article, we well understand the pressures of site work and can easily accomodate your schedule. Incidentally, I gave Davis McCarn of the National Library of Medicine here in the states your telephone number. He may need access to your TIP to demonstrate Medline to the British Museum. I hope you do not mind my having taken this liberty.

Very much look forward to your article and appreciate the interest and consideration you are according us.

With warmest regards, .....Jean

1

ARPANET News Article

(J20694) 4-DEC-73 05:26; Title: Author(s): Jean Iseli/JI;  
Distribution: /SRW MEJ; Keywords: srw-arpnetnews-article;  
Sub-Collections: MITRE-TIP NIC; Clerk: JI;

Possible ARPANET News Article ; March '74

Mr. Jean Iseli  
The MITRE Corporation  
NSDD,W185  
Westgate Research Park  
McLean, Virginia 22101  
U.S.A.  
(703) 893-3500 Ext. 2373

1

Mr. Joe B. Wyatt  
Director, Office for Information Technology  
Harvard University  
1730 Cambridge Street  
Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138

3 December 1973

2

Dear Joe:

Thank you for your kind response to my prior request. I would be very pleased to have you consider submitting further information for the ARPANET News in March of '74. The work you have undertaken is indeed of substantial interest and potential benefit to the ARPANET community.

3

As you may recall, the USING Working Group has indicated appreciable interest overlapping your own area. May I suggest that you consider attending its forthcoming meeting at SRI-ARC the 3rd and 4th of January 1974. There are probably many ways in which an active interface between the USING group and your efforts could be mutually beneficial.

4

As a step towards achieving the objectives of USING (which have been recorded in several recent issues of the ARPANET News), the December issue of the News provides a brief discussion, by Mike Padlipsky, of several implementations of a common text editor on a collection of heterogeneous hosts. Also, work is progressing in the area of a network level help facility to which all hosts may attach. Recently, a new network information subsystem, <jedir>rex.sav@case-10, has neared completion, and a paper is to be given at the forthcoming conference in Hawaii by Dr. Jack Benoit of MITRE. I believe these steps, as well as your own, are highly important to the further evolution of networking, especially, as you indicate, in providing services to a broad and diverse community of users at all levels of

Possible ARPANET News Article ; March '74

sophistication.

5

More recently, an informal group of network collaborators has been formed and are known as the I-Colony group. Areas in which this group is expending effort coincide more than a small amount with those of USING and those indicated in your recent letter. The group is exploring Team-Building and Organizational Structures Optimized to achieve specified objectives through distributed collaboration. Many of the members of I-Colony will also be at the USING meeting.

6

If you are considering attending the USING meeting, please feel free to contact Mil Jernigan at SRI-ARC [(415) 326-6200 Ext 4775] who has offered to assist in making local arrangements.

Thank you for your interest and most gracious response to our recent request.

Warmest regards, .....Jean

7

Possible ARPANET News Article ; March '74

(J20695) 4-DEC-73 05:34; Title: Author(s): Jean Iseli/JI;  
Distribution: /JBW DHC I; Keywords: harvard-News-article-using;  
Sub-Collections: I MITRE-TIP NIC; Clerk: JI;  
Origin: <HELP>HARVARD.NLS;1, 3-DEC-73 08:32 JI ;



Name for the Utility

I'm inclined to agree with JEW (20682) that KWCSI is perhaps a silly-sounding name for a rather serious facility. Once I started pronouncing it "quicksy" to rhyme with "Trixie" all was lost. An alternate approach is suggested to me by the example of a theatre owner in Seattle who thought he'd open up a place next door to his theatre as a coffee shop. After an open competition to select a suitable name, he just called it "The Place Next Door" and it was a resounding success. By analogy, we want to create an office or a secretary, so why not just call it that? That is, just call it "OFFICE1"?

1

Name for the Utility

(J20696) 4-DEC-73 06:53; Title: Author(s): John S. Perry/JSP;  
Distribution: /JCN JEW RWW JSP; Sub-Collections: NIC; Clerk: JSP;